cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Architecture and Troubleshooting Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Architecture and troubleshooting Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers with Hitesh KumarWith Hitesh Kumar

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about architecture and packet capture on Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers with Cisco expert Hitesh Kumar. Learn about the Cisco ASR 1000 Series--a class of mid-range routers offering convergence of network services on highly scalable routing platforms. The Cisco ASR 1000 Series delivers superior resiliency with intelligent services and modularity to meet the long-term needs of both enterprise and service provider applications.

Hitesh Kumar is a customer support engineer in the High Touch Technical Services team at Cisco specializing in routing protocols. He has been supporting major service providers and enterprise customers in routing, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), Multicast, and Layer 2 Virtual Private Network (L2VPN) issues on Routing platforms for more than three years. He has more than six years of experience in the IT industry and holds a CCIE certification in Service (#38757).

Remember to use the rating system to let Hitesh know if you have received an adequate response.

Hitesh might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Network Infrastructure > WAN, Routing and Switching subcommunity shortly after the event.This event lasts through Tuesday April 26, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other Cisco Support Community members.

2 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Hi Imran

On ASR1k IOS  and other software on the router can be upgraded using the In Service  Software Upgrade (ISSU) feature in the standby IOS process, thereby  allowing the network to remain active during the software upgrade.

The Cisco ASR 1001, ASR1002-F, ASR 1002, ASR 1002-X, and Cisco ASR 1004  support dual Cisco IOS Software redundancy with a single route  processor configuration. This feature is not supported on the Cisco ASR  1006 or Cisco ASR 1013.

The  Cisco ASR 1006/1013 supports 1+1 active and standby redundancy in dual  RP and dual ESP configuration. Switchover of the route processor does  not result in switchover of the ESP, and switchover of the ESP does not  result in switchover of the route processor.

Regards

Hitesh

View solution in original post

Hi Bilal

Good to hear that the issue was resolved. Since IGMP snooping is enabled in your network so we need a querier. Using this command it designated ASR's as querier.

Regards

Hitesh

View solution in original post

33 Replies 33

Emad.arezoomand
Level 1
Level 1

HELLO

i bought a linskey E1200 some days back and i tried to fix it myself , it was my first time to fix a router myself and i want it for my home only . ive fixed the internet cable and the cable from router to my PC and i went trough the steps over the CD provided in the pack . but and the end  of the setup there is an error coming that the router cant connect to internet .

i have asked my isp provider and they took the router to set up the settings and when they brought it back they told that its ok now and it was working with them but ive tired it over my pc and 2 other laptops (direct cable) to connect to internet via router but its not wrking . the cable coming to me is a pppoe and i have a user name pass over it , ive tried also to go to this 192.168.1.1 ip and choose the pppoe and insert my username and pass there but after this my network sahring shows that i have access to internet and at the status i can see it is connected and ip of the network has been stablished but how much ive tried i couldnt brows any page its not loading any page just like to conction is there .

i want to conect my internet to my router to have both internet over my pc wich has no wifi and to have wifi all over my home , would u pls help me to fix this issue ?

regards

Hi Emad

You have selected wrong forum, as this forum is made for queries on ASR1k platform. If you are facing any issue with

linskey device I would advise to check with them.

Regards

Hitesh

Vinit Jain
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Hitesh

As far as i understand there are two RP's on ASR1k. RP1 & RP2. Could you please share the architectural differences between them.

Thanks

Thanks
--Vinit

Hi Vinit

Below are the differences between RP1 and RP2:

CPU

- RP1 has Single 1.5 GHz PowerPC CPU while RP2 has Dual 2.66 GHz Intel x86

DRAM

- RP1 supports 4 GB while RP2 supports up to 8 GB of field-replaceable memory

Bulk Storage hard Disk

- RP1 has Internal 40 GB hard-disk while RP2 has Front-mounted 80 GB hard-disk

Bootflash/NVRAM

- RP1 supports 512 MB eUSB RP2 supports 2 GB eUSB

The Cisco ASR1000-RP1 and Cisco ASR1000-RP2 cannot exist in the same chassis.

Please let me know in case of any other queries.

Regards

Hitesh

Hi Hitesh,

I have some questions ,

Q.1 What is the difference between ISR and ASR Routers?

Q.2 Do ASR Routers also have the same IOS as other routers?

Thanks

Hi Fahad

By ASR I believe you mean ASR1k. The cisco ASR1k was introduced to facilitate more flexible, efficient, and  high-performance delivery of complex consumer and business services. Below are the main features of ASR1k which are not present in ISR

- Cisco ASR1k has seperate conrol and data planes.

- Cisco ASR1k supports software redundnacy on ASR1001, ASR1002, ASR1002-X, ASR1004 Routers and Hardware redundancy on the Cisco ASR 1006 and 1013 Routers

- Cisco ASR1k supports Modular Cisco IOS XE Software to facilitate In-Service Software Upgrade (ISSU)

- It has a seperate processor ESP to take all the forwarding decisions

- Scalable services embedded in the Cisco QuantumFlow Processor at wire speeds from 2.5 Gbps to 100 Gbps

Below is datasheet (including ISR's) providing performance information:

http://www.cisco.com/web/partners/downloads/765/tools/quickreference/routerperformance.pdf

Refering to your second query Cisco ASR1k runs IOSXE has IOS running as a process with a modern Linux operating system

IOSXE has been designed to support all the above mentioned featured plus most of the features of IOS.

Please let me know in case of any query.

Regards

Hitesh 

Helllo Hitesh, Maybe you could help me.

I'm having troubles with multicast on a network with ASR's that are performing OTV.(mixture of ASR1001 and ASR1002) I just wanted an opinion from someone who is an expert with the ASR1K.

We have two sites, Site A and Site B. They both have Vlan 724 - and is on the overlay interfaces across both sites, on a flat network (no router's or SVI's in this stretched vlan). I know I have configured OTV correctly.

I cannot seem to run multicast within this vlan, on the same LAN. Even within a site (on the same switch that has the vlan) and also site to site, in the same 724 vlan which is extended across sites.

Do you have any idea's why this wouldnt work?

The mrouted ports, all point towards the direction of the ASR, but I can't see on the ASR where it goes from there. There's not meant to be an mrouted port in the first place since there is no multicast router in this vlan.

tia

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi Bilal

I am assuming that your unicast is working fine between the sites. Please correct me if I am wrong here. Assuming that your unicast is working fine below are the configuration commands that are required on ASR1k. Please check and verify if they are present in your case.

ip multicast-routing distributed         \ Enables multicast routing

ip igmp snooping querier version 3   \ If ASR is the querier this command enables igmp snooping for multicast data traffic

ip igmp snooping querier

Please let me know in case of any concerns.

Regards

Hitesh

Thanks for your reply Hitesh,

I can verify that ip multicast-routing is enabled. And also that unicast does work.

I have not got ip igmp snooping querier command enabled. Where do I configure this command - under which interface?

The ASR, or any other networking device does not have an interface within this vlan, I have a multicast source and destination within the same vlan on the same switch too (3750). Only layer 2.

ASR01-----4500-----3750

====================================

The ASR config:

interface Overlay1

no ip address

otv control-group 239.1.1.1

otv data-group 232.1.1.0/28

otv join-interface Loopback10

!

service instance 724 ethernet

encapsulation dot1q 724

bridge-domain 724

!      

interface GigabitEthernet0/0/2

description ## Trunk to 4506-01 - OTV & ROUTE ## Gi4/10 ##

no ip address

negotiation auto

cdp enable

service instance 8 ethernet

encapsulation dot1q 8

bridge-domain 8

!

service instance 724 ethernet

encapsulation dot1q 724

bridge-domain 724

4500:

4506-01#show run int gi4/10

Building configuration...

Current configuration : 166 bytes

!

interface GigabitEthernet4/10

description ## Trunk to ASR1001-01 ## Gi0/0/2 ##

switchport trunk allowed vlan 8,724

switchport mode trunk

!

interface GigabitEthernet4/1

description ## 3750-101 ##

switchport trunk allowed vlan 724

switchport mode trunk

end

4506-1#show ip igmp snooping mrouter

Vlan    ports

----    -----

724    Gi4/10(dynamic)

3750:

3750-101#show run int gi1/0/1

interface GigabitEthernet1/0/1

description ## 4506-01 ## Gi4/1 ##

switchport trunk encapsulation dot1q

switchport trunk allowed vlan 724

switchport mode trunk

end

3750-101#show ip igmp snooping mrouter

Vlan    ports

----    -----

724    Gi1/0/1(dynamic)

I do not understand why I am seeing this mrouter port on these switches since there is not a routed interface in this vlan. Why is it going towards the ASR?

Thank you for your help.

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi Bilal

the command should be in global config mode. I checked on my node and its working. I am running 15.2(2)S. may be you are running old code.

MRIUTIA-R03C-GZ-EG#sh ver

Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-ADVENTERPRISEK9-M), Version 15.2(2)S, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2012 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 26-Mar-12 16:23 by mcpre

IOS XE Version: 03.06.00.S

Cisco IOS-XE software, Copyright (c) 2005-2012 by cisco Systems, Inc.

All rights reserved.  Certain components of Cisco IOS-XE software are

licensed under the GNU General Public License ("GPL") Version 2.0.  The

software code licensed under GPL Version 2.0 is free software that comes

with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  You can redistribute and/or modify such

GPL code under the terms of GPL Version 2.0.  For more details, see the

documentation or "License Notice" file accompanying the IOS-XE software,

or the applicable URL provided on the flyer accompanying the IOS-XE

software.

ROM: IOS-XE ROMMON

MRIUTIA-R03C-GZ-EG uptime is 26 minutes

Uptime for this control processor is 27 minutes

System returned to ROM by reload

System image file is "bootflash:asr1000rp2-adventerprisek9.03.06.00.S.152-2.S.bin"

Last reload reason: PowerOn

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply

third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for

compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you

agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable

to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

export@cisco.com.

cisco ASR1004 (RP2) processor with 4238341K/6147K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID FOX1544G2MJ

5 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

=======================================

MRIUTIA-R03C-GZ-EG(config)#ip igmp snooping querier

MRIUTIA-R03C-GZ-EG(config)#

Can you please elaborate "I have a multicast source and destination within the same vlan on the same switch too (3750)". Does this means that source and destination are not talking to each other ? or do they need to talk via ASR1k?

Regarding your query that igmp snooping mrouter being shown towards ASR1k, a queries will show itself as an mrouter. Below is the link for your refernce:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/hw/switches/ps708/products_tech_note09186a008059a9df.shtml#solu2

Maybe your ASR1k is already acting as a querier and that is the reason for the interface towards ASR1k being displayed. Please check the output of

show ip igmp snooping querier

Regards

Hitesh

Sure - I should have explained a little better, on the 3750 I have a multicast source (master) e.g. plugged in on fa1/0/1 and a client on fa1/0/2, on the same vlan - 724 - that wants to join the group, but can't.

The tests I've done have been to test this in a lab environment without ASRs and the multicast works in a flat vlan with a basic switch config. (igmp snooping enabled by default) and there is no mrouted port in that environment. For some reason, I am learning it dynamically when there is no pim or mrouter in this vlan anyway.

This is the output I get from the command.

ASR1001-01#show ip igmp snooping querier

Vlan      IP Address               IGMP Version   Port            

-------------------------------------------------------------

ASR1001-01#

I am able to implement the command ip igmp snooping querier, it is available to me.

Cisco IOS Software, IOS-XE Software (X86_64_LINUX_IOSD-UNIVERSALK9-M), Version 15.2(2)S, RELEASE SOFTWARE (fc1)

Technical Support: http://www.cisco.com/techsupport

Copyright (c) 1986-2012 by Cisco Systems, Inc.

Compiled Mon 26-Mar-12 16:23 by mcpre

IOS XE Version: 03.06.00.S

Cisco IOS-XE software, Copyright (c) 2005-2012 by cisco Systems, Inc.

All rights reserved.  Certain components of Cisco IOS-XE software are

licensed under the GNU General Public License ("GPL") Version 2.0.  The

software code licensed under GPL Version 2.0 is free software that comes

with ABSOLUTELY NO WARRANTY.  You can redistribute and/or modify such

GPL code under the terms of GPL Version 2.0.  For more details, see the

documentation or "License Notice" file accompanying the IOS-XE software,

or the applicable URL provided on the flyer accompanying the IOS-XE

software.

ROM: IOS-XE ROMMON

IH-ASR1001-01 uptime is 8 weeks, 6 days, 20 hours, 49 minutes

Uptime for this control processor is 8 weeks, 6 days, 20 hours, 51 minutes

System returned to ROM by reload at 18:19:04 UTC Sat Feb 16 2013

System restarted at 18:21:51 GMT Sat Feb 16 2013

System image file is "bootflash:asr1001-universalk9.03.06.00.S.152-2.S.bin"

Last reload reason: Reload Command

This product contains cryptographic features and is subject to United

States and local country laws governing import, export, transfer and

use. Delivery of Cisco cryptographic products does not imply

third-party authority to import, export, distribute or use encryption.

Importers, exporters, distributors and users are responsible for

compliance with U.S. and local country laws. By using this product you

agree to comply with applicable laws and regulations. If you are unable

to comply with U.S. and local laws, return this product immediately.

A summary of U.S. laws governing Cisco cryptographic products may be found at:

http://www.cisco.com/wwl/export/crypto/tool/stqrg.html

If you require further assistance please contact us by sending email to

export@cisco.com.

License Level: advipservices

License Type: Permanent

Next reload license Level: advipservices

cisco ASR1001 (1RU) processor with 1163576K/6147K bytes of memory.

Processor board ID SSI16050CNJ

8 Gigabit Ethernet interfaces

32768K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.

4194304K bytes of physical memory.

7741439K bytes of eUSB flash at bootflash:.

Configuration register is 0x2102

Should the query command fix this problem?

Thanks for your help.

Hi Bilal

Can you implemet the querier command and let me know the results. Also get me the output of

"show ip igmp snooping querier" from ASR and other devices in the lan after implemeting the command.

Regards

Hitesh

Hello Hitesh,

This command seemed to work for me! Eventually I had things set up like this:

Client----3750-141-----ASR1002-01----(OTV)----IH-ASR----3750-LOADTEST-101-----Source

I implemented the ip igmp snooping querier command on both ASR's and it seemed to work fine. I could also do this on the same switch.

3750-141#show ip igmp snooping querier

724       192.168.230.1            v2            Po1 

ASR1002-01#show ip igmp snooping querier

724       192.168.230.1            v2            Router                  

IH-ASR1001-01#show ip igmp snooping querier

724       192.168.40.1             v2            Router                  

3750-LOADTEST-101#show ip igmp snooping querier

724       192.168.40.1             v2            Gi1/0/1    

ASR1002-01#show ip igmp snooping mrouter

Vlan    ports

----    -----

724    Router

IH-ASR1001-01#show ip igmp snooping mrouter

Vlan    ports

----    -----

724    Router

So what was I missing? What does the querier command do on the ASR in this scenario?

Thank you for your help!

Hi Bilal

Good to hear that the issue was resolved. Since IGMP snooping is enabled in your network so we need a querier. Using this command it designated ASR's as querier.

Regards

Hitesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: