cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert: Architecture and Troubleshooting Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers

ciscomoderator
Community Manager
Community Manager

Architecture and troubleshooting Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers with Hitesh KumarWith Hitesh Kumar

Welcome to the Cisco Support Community Ask the Expert conversation. This is an opportunity to learn and ask questions about architecture and packet capture on Cisco ASR 1000 Series Aggregation Services Routers with Cisco expert Hitesh Kumar. Learn about the Cisco ASR 1000 Series--a class of mid-range routers offering convergence of network services on highly scalable routing platforms. The Cisco ASR 1000 Series delivers superior resiliency with intelligent services and modularity to meet the long-term needs of both enterprise and service provider applications.

Hitesh Kumar is a customer support engineer in the High Touch Technical Services team at Cisco specializing in routing protocols. He has been supporting major service providers and enterprise customers in routing, Multiprotocol Label Switching (MPLS), Multicast, and Layer 2 Virtual Private Network (L2VPN) issues on Routing platforms for more than three years. He has more than six years of experience in the IT industry and holds a CCIE certification in Service (#38757).

Remember to use the rating system to let Hitesh know if you have received an adequate response.

Hitesh might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the Network Infrastructure > WAN, Routing and Switching subcommunity shortly after the event.This event lasts through Tuesday April 26, 2013. Visit this forum often to view responses to your questions and the questions of other Cisco Support Community members.

33 Replies 33

Hello Hitesh

I had another question please. I took ip igmp snooping querier command off the ASR and it stopped working, this is expected. When I enable the same command on the switch, it does not work.

What is the difference between the ASR or the switch with this command?

Thank you

Please rate useful posts and remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

Hi Hitesh,

Thanks for such a detailed reply,

By software redundancy, do you mean that if one software fails or becomes corrupt, then other software could be used as a backup?

Also my other question is that does the ASR Router has "CRC" method ,or it uses other error detection method?

Thanks

Hi Fahad

On ASR1k IOS runs as a process so yes you can use other software as a backup on the same RP

The Cisco ASR 1001, ASR1002-F, ASR 1002, ASR 1002-X, and Cisco ASR 1004 support dual Cisco IOS Software redundancy with a single route processor configuration. This feature is not supported on the Cisco ASR 1006 or Cisco ASR 1013.

Regarding your second query Yes it uses the CRC method.

Regards

Hitesh

Mohammed Imran Khan
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello Hitesh,

Can the IOS upgradation take place in ASR1k with dual RP/ESP (redundancy) without any downtime? (in other words, is ISSU supported; can you please explain this in detail?)

Hi Imran

On ASR1k IOS  and other software on the router can be upgraded using the In Service  Software Upgrade (ISSU) feature in the standby IOS process, thereby  allowing the network to remain active during the software upgrade.

The Cisco ASR 1001, ASR1002-F, ASR 1002, ASR 1002-X, and Cisco ASR 1004  support dual Cisco IOS Software redundancy with a single route  processor configuration. This feature is not supported on the Cisco ASR  1006 or Cisco ASR 1013.

The  Cisco ASR 1006/1013 supports 1+1 active and standby redundancy in dual  RP and dual ESP configuration. Switchover of the route processor does  not result in switchover of the ESP, and switchover of the ESP does not  result in switchover of the route processor.

Regards

Hitesh

hello. please We have a problem with evc on portchannel (FN said that supported).

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios-xml/ios/cether/configuration/xe-3s/asr1000/ce-mac-addlmt-bdsin.html#GUID-8010AC31-10A7-40BE-9240-B179D24F0AC3 have such example.

IOS XE Version: 03.09.00.S

(config)#int te0/0/0

(config-if)#serv?

service  service-insertion  service-policy

(config)#int po10

(config-if)#serv?

service-insertion  service-policy

IOS XE Version: 03.09.00a.S (this is from csr1000v)

interface Port-channel1

service instance 1 ethernet (have this command).

bug or feature ?

p.s. we have not access to TAC..

Hello, I contacted Cisco TAC and they said this feature of running a service instance under a port-channel is not available on ASRs.

I have also tried this. Then the question comes down to, why is it documented in the first place!?

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPhone App

Please rate useful posts & remember to mark any solved questions as answered. Thank you.

yes.. FN and documentation misleading me. asr9k can such brigde without any problem..

Hi Evgeniy

At the moment its not supported, it is on the roadmap and you should see it out soon.

Regards

Hitesh

will it be in 3.10 or 3.11 (2013,2014) ?

Hello Evgeniy

The feature of EVC under port-channel is in roadmap for ASR1k. I am sorry but this forum is not the right place to discuss about features being released in upcoming releases. These queries need to go either via TAC and development or via Accounts team.

Regards

Hitesh.

Hi Hitesh,

Can you tell me how to upgrade an ASR1002-5G-VPN/K9 ESP from 5G to 10G? Is this license based or hardware based?

Hi Kwillacey

I am assuming that you have ESP5 running on ASR1002 with an existing ASR1002-5G-VPN/K9 VPN Bundle and wish to upgrade to ESP10. If that is the case that I don't think you need anything else excluding hardware itself

ASR1000-ESP10.

Regards

Hitesh

chintan-shah
Level 3
Level 3

Hello Hitesh,

I have one question on usage of memory on various ASR1K model.

In my lab, I have ASR1004(RP2) and ASR1001 with 16GB memory.

I see that in ASR1004 - show version shows 10GB memory whereas ASR1001 show version shows ~7GB memory.

I understood that it indicates the memory usage by IOS. I have not configured SSO ( softare redudancy)in any of case.

I could not find out any document explainig this difference on CCO neither i find any document explaining how does memory get use in ASR1K between IOSd and how much really we have for stuff like routing table etc.

I would apprcieate if you can share any document/link or provide any details through this post.

Thanks in advance,

Regards,

Chintan

Hello Chintan

On the Cisco ASR 1000 Series route processor, the show memory command is reporting only the memory that has been allocated to the RPIOS process. The Cisco IOS XE Software command show platform software memory provides a memory breakdown by platform processes.

Below is a good CCO link:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps9343/products_tech_note09186a0080af252a.shtml

Kindly go through it.

Regards

Hitesh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card