cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Ask the Expert- Implementing EIGRP on IPv6

Cisco Moderador
Community Manager
Community Manager

This topic is a chance to discuss more about the implementation of EIGRP on IPv6 networks. Learn more about the functions, features and best practices to implement and route the Enhanced Interior Gateway Routing Protocol (EIGRP) on IPv6 networks. This interior gateway protocol is suited for many different topologies and media. In a well designed network, EIGRP scales well and provides extremely quick convergence times with minimal network traffic.

To participate in this event, please use the Join the Discussion : Cisco Ask the Expert button below to ask your questions

Ask questions from Monday, January 22 to February, Friday 2018. 

Featured Expert 

Julio Moisa is an engineer in Computer Science with over 14 years of experience in the IT field. He is director and founder of Your Next Hop in Central America, a company that focuses on e- learning and IT consulting. With almost one and half decades in the field, Julio has experience in data communication, cybersecurity, and the administration of Cisco products specialized in Routing and Switching for service providers; such as, Aggregation Services Routers and Metro Ethernet switches. Julio has several certifications: CCNA R&S, CCNA Security, CCDA, CCIP, CCDP, and CCIE R&S #52536. Currently he is preparing for the CCIE Service Provider certification.
Julio has been nominated as a Cisco Designated VIP of the Cisco Support Community this year, 2018.

Julio might not be able to answer each question due to the volume expected during this event. Remember that you can continue the conversation on the  Contact Center Community

Find further information https://supportforums.cisco.com/t5/network-infrastructure/ct-p/4461-network-infrastructure 

**Ratings Encourage Participation! **
Please be sure to rate the Answers to Questions

4 Replies 4

Hello
I’m looking to setup eigrp on ipv6
I am using the c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T14 image.

But when i do a sh ipv6 protocols, noting shows on the interfaces

ipv6 ospf works.

In GNS3Vault, the c3725-adventerprisek9-mz.124-15.T7.bin image is used.

So where can I found/get this image?

Hi, Good morning Chirstopher,

EIGRP over IPv6 will be configured under the interface only but it will create an EIGRP process automatically where we need to enable it. We can use Link-local address using IPv6 enable command if we don't have a range of global addresses or use global addresses to create EIGRP adjacencies. Now a configuración should be for example:

ipv6 unicast-routing

interface g0/0

ipv6 eigrp 100

ipv6 enable (or for example using global address: ipv6 address 2001::100/64)

no shutdown

>>>The configuration above will create the EIGRP process automatically<<<

ipv6 router eigrp 100

router-id 1.1.1.1

no shutdown

EIGRP will not running on the router if we don't have a router-id and if it is shutdown. Once the adjacency is completed you can execute: show ipv6 protocols  and the interfaces running over the AS 100 will be displayed. IPv6 enable command will create an Link-local IPv6 address based on the Interface's MAC address and using EUI-64. This IPv6 address is not routable so you will not see it on the routing table of the neighbor, it is visible just using Global addresses. 

Now in order to get images you need a valid contract with Cisco to download them from the Cisco website.

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<

Hi,

I would like to know if it is considerer a best practice configure the router's interfaces inside my network using just the link-local address or it is a better practice to use a subnet from the global address assigned. Is there some kind of security issue about this practice? What'd be your recomendation?

Thanks in advanced,

Hi Carlos,  Good Morning,

Actually it depends of your infrastructure and management, there is a big difference using LL or Global addresses and it is: The Link-local addresses are not involved into the routing process, so you will not seen them as entries into the remote routing tables like we see with IPv4. It can be done using Global addresses only. The LL addresses are used under a physical link between 2 nodes. 

Link local Address --- Not routable --- Seen like IPv4 private networks.

Global Address --- Routable --- Seen like IPv4 public networks. 

About security I don't see issues, we also take security methods to protect the networks, Firewall, filtering methods, etc like we do with IPv4. Link Local could be considered as a hermetic or private method because you will not able to see the interfaces IPv6 address once executed a traceroute for example. It can be achieved with Global addresses only. 

Hope it is useful

:-)

>> Marcar como útil o contestado, si la respuesta resolvió la duda, esto ayuda a futuras consultas de otros miembros de la comunidad. <<
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card