Views
Helpful
Replies

asociating a mac to a port in a router

p.diaz
Level 1
Level 1

Hi every one

Is there  a way to asociate a mac address to a layer 3 port in a router ? I mean to secure the port to only permit a precise mac address connected to it to have traffic . I had knoledge that I can do it in a switch ( mac security/port security) but how can I do it in a router with a L3 Intf ?

Thanks

6 Replies 6

Hi,

Good question!

I have not seen a way to do this.... you can configure an ACL to filter MAC addresses (but I don't think it's what you're looking for).

Maybe someone else could jump in, but I don't think there's an equivalente of port-security to a L3 interface.

Federico.

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

dixho
Level 6
Level 6

I agree the others that we need more information on what you want to achieve. From the information provided, the only thing I can think of is static ARP.

Hello,

Even on switch you cannot bind static mac to l3 interface because port-security/mac binding feature available

to switching port only.

You need to associate vlan with static 48bit mac-address and l3 interface will not have any vlan associated with it.

The only option left is mac filtering via. access-list

Regards

mahesh

Hi.

I am needing to configure the following command in a cisco 851:

cisco 851 mac-address-table secure

The cisco has the following version: "flash:c850-advsecurityk9-mz.124-15.T4.bin"

Cisco 851 (MPC8272) processor (revision 0x200) with 59392K/6144K bytes of memory.
Processor board ID FHK121623WA
MPC8272 CPU Rev: Part Number 0xC, Mask Number 0x10
5 FastEthernet interfaces
128K bytes of non-volatile configuration memory.
20480K bytes of processor board System flash (Intel Strataflash)

I had read in the site of cisco that this routers accepts the mac security feature but that command is not accepted by the router.

please help

thanks

Its an IOS command for switches. The 851 is a one ethernet one adsl router.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card