cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ASR1001 MPLS and BGP Support in Base Image

paolo_carbone
Level 1
Level 1

I am looking at using the ASR1001 as a BGP internet router but also require MPLS LDP - I do not necssarily need to terminate MPLS Layer 3 and Layer 2 VPNs (although this would be useful), but do need these services to traverse across a couple of ASR routers.

The feature navigator suggests that this is all possible using the IP Base image only, but looking at Cisco ordering guides the suggestion is to use Advanced IP services.

Could someone who has used these confim the required license?

I also need to use NBAR version 2 and Flexible netflow.

Many thanks

Paolo

5 Replies 5

Hello Paolo,

MPLS code is not integrated into IPBASE image, so you won't be able to setup this box as LSR. You should proceed with ADVIPSERV image.

Thank you

-- 
Best regards,
Dmitry Skotnikov

-- Best regards, Dmitry Skotnikov

Thanks Dimitry,

Do you happen to know if I should upgrade the 4GB RAM to use these as BGP internet routers? I have no plan to use the software redundancy features.

Paolo

Hello Paolo,

Basically since on ASR1001 box ESP shares RAM with built-in RP it's all about how many routes you are going to push thorough BGP.

By default it comes with 4GB pre-installed so it's quite sufficient for a full view BGP, in case you are going to scale the number of routes for more then a few full BGP tables you can evaluate the upgrade to 8GB/16GB.

-- 
Best regards,
Dmitry Skotnikov

Thanks Dimitry,

We currently do not have plans to have any more than one full BGP table, so that will be fine for now.

Thanks for your help.

Paolo

It was a pleasure to help you.

Have a nice day

-- 
Best regards,
Dmitry Skotnikov

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card