cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM and FR conectivity

angel.batista
Level 1
Level 1

I'm configuring two routers for stablish comunication via WAN. My service provider is using MPLS and one router is using FR and other ATM.

The problem is that in both routers the interfaces are up but when I try to ping one interface from the same router, the interface (IP) don't respond.

The configuration is the following:

ROUTER A:

interface Serial0/0.738 point-to-point

ip address 192.168.20.1 255.255.255.252

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

no cdp enable

frame-relay interface-dlci 738

ROUTER B:

interface ATM0/1/0.738 point-to-point

ip address 192.168.20.2 255.255.255.252

no ip redirects

no ip unreachables

no ip route-cache

no ip mroute-cache

pvc 0/102

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

fnavarro
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Angel, I had the same issue before. First, ensure that the service provider supports cisco frame relay encapsulation (that is the default). If not, change the encapsulation type to ietf. Second, ensure that you are using the correct lmi type (ansi, cisco, or q933a). You currently have the interface configured with cisco encapsulation and lmi type. If the encapsulation and lmi type are correct, have the service provider ensure proper mapping of the dlci to atm vpi/vci.

View solution in original post

7 Replies 7

Hello,

just for my understanding, are you saying that you cannot ping the local interfaces, that is, 192.168.20.1 from ROUTERA, and 192.168.20.2 from ROUTERB ?

Regards,

GP

First, Thanks Georg, for your help.

Yes, this is the problem, and if I can't ping my own interface I can't ping the other router.

First, Thanks Georg, for your help.

Yes, this is the problem, and if I can't ping my own interface I can't ping the other router.

What does a sh frame-relay map show on RouterA. From the Frame-relay side, you will not be able to ping your own interface. With out a mapping for IP to FR DLCI, you wont be able to ping the other end.

Read this faq.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/116/fr_faq.html

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

Hello Angel,

this is just a guess, but try the following configuration on your ATM router:

interface ATM0/1/0

mtu 1500

no ip address

atm pvc 1 0 16 ilmi

atm uni-version 3.1

atm ilmi-keepalive 30

!

interface ATM0/1/0.738 point-to-point

ip address 192.168.20.2 255.255.255.252

no ip proxy-arp

atm pvc 2 0 102 aal5snap inarp

If this does not work, can you post the output of 'show frame-relay map', on the FR router, and 'show atm pvc', on the ATM router ?

Regards,

GP

fnavarro
Level 1
Level 1

Hello Angel, I had the same issue before. First, ensure that the service provider supports cisco frame relay encapsulation (that is the default). If not, change the encapsulation type to ietf. Second, ensure that you are using the correct lmi type (ansi, cisco, or q933a). You currently have the interface configured with cisco encapsulation and lmi type. If the encapsulation and lmi type are correct, have the service provider ensure proper mapping of the dlci to atm vpi/vci.

Thanks to all for your time and help.

I changed encapsulation to IETF and the problem was resolve.

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card