Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM Interfaces and Router Spec

nathan.deane
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

This is probably a very simple question but it has been puzzling me today.

I am working with a client who is deploying an MPLS network within the UK with some of the tails being 2 mbps ATM (BT Cellstream). The offer the option to have this presented as either BNC or 120 ohm RJ45.

If the RJ45 connection is chosen then what router and model would be required to handle the ATm AAL encapsulation?

we are looking at 2811's as a standard for the other sites so is it possible to plug the ATM connection directly into teh RJ45 slot on the back and include the AIM-ATM to provide the ATM encaps for the ethernet interface?

Thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Yes, you can configure a pri-group on the 2nd port of the VWIC.

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

tdrais
Level 7
Level 7

It only looks like a ethernet connection it is totally different.

This is still a e1 at the physical level and you need a corresponding interface.

They changed this when the 2800 came out. Used to use a IMA network module but it is no longer supported.

I am told the new method is to use the AIM card you mention along with a wic card. I think you have to use vwic-1mft-e1.

You MPLS vendor can tell you exactly since I assume they put in managed cisco routers all the time.

Hi, thanks for the reponse

It seems like quite an expensive solution for what is just a funky E1..

i have found teh bundle that contains this

E1 ATM bundle incl 1 VWIC2-1MFT-T1/E1 and 1 AIM-ATM. = $2000

I need to also use this router as an SRST device so need a PRI interface...so would it be possible to change out the

VWIC2-1MFT-E1

for

VWIC2-2MFT-E1

and use 1 port for PRI and 1 port for the ATM connection ???

Thanks again

Yes, you can configure a pri-group on the 2nd port of the VWIC.

Thanks for the confirmation, i thought it would be a possibility

Regards

Afternoon,

I have just one final question with regards to this topic.

Do i have to use a AIM-ATM ? or can I just use the vwic2-2mft-e1 and have the ATM encapsulation done in software ?

Thanks

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco