Views
Helpful
Replies

atm keepalive per pvc

rabeder
Level 1
Level 1

hi,

i have a 7206vxr router with a atm-oc3 interface which is connected to our atm-provider.

in this interface i have several atm-pvc (with subinterfaces) to several destinationrouter, which are also on the providers atm network.

the problem is that if something is wrong in the atm-network , my atm subinterface is always UP regardless if the provider has a atm problem or not.

is there a kind of keepalive in atm between the routers, so they can see if the other side is reachable ?

- a kind of keepalive mechanism per atm pvc ?

thanks and greetings from austria

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Howdy,

It can work perfectly well even if configured on one router since all routers will turn these OAM cells around by default. However, the router on which you do not configure it will not get the benefit of being able to detect that the PVC is down. Therefore, I suggest that you enable it on both routers. However,if the other router is not under your control, just enabling it on your routers should work fine.

You don't have to do anything on the ATM switches in the ATM network to support this feature - they simply treat the OAM cells as user traffic.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi,

There certainly is a solution for that problem. Configure the following under each PVC:

interface atm1/0.32 point-to-point

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

pvc1/32

oam-pvc manage

That will enable OAM PVC management - which is a kind of ATM loopback cell that will be sent out by the router. If it does not get a number of them back in succession, the interface will be brought down.

Paresh

hi,

thanks for your answer.

just one or two questions - regarding your feedback:

do i have to configure this oam-pvc on both of my atm-routers - or only one side?

are the oam cells only for the endrouter ?

what about the atm-switches which are between the endrouters - do i have to configure something on the atm-switches ?

Howdy,

It can work perfectly well even if configured on one router since all routers will turn these OAM cells around by default. However, the router on which you do not configure it will not get the benefit of being able to detect that the PVC is down. Therefore, I suggest that you enable it on both routers. However,if the other router is not under your control, just enabling it on your routers should work fine.

You don't have to do anything on the ATM switches in the ATM network to support this feature - they simply treat the OAM cells as user traffic.

Paresh

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card