cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM sub-interface routing

jefft
Level 1
Level 1

Currently My  DSL Circuits are configured on Bridged ATM sub-interfaces with IP at the BVI interface. The Hardware I am using is a 7206VXR. I am looking to see if the following is possible:

Have an ATM subinterface for the DSL connectivity and do the L3 on a vlan. For instance, have the ATM2/0.3050 use Interface G0/1.50 instead of a BVI interface.

Anyone know if this is possible and How?

Thanks,
Jeff

4 Replies 4

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Yes. Under ATM subinf configure, "atm ip route-bridged", IP address, and eliminate bridge.

Hi Paolo,

Thanks for the reply. I have an additional question.

The 7206VXR G0/1 interface which is connected to a 3750 trunk port is configured like below:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1

no ip address

ip flow ingress

load-interval 30

duplex auto

speed auto

media-type rj45

no negotiation auto

no keepalive

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.3

encapsulation dot1Q 3

ip address x.x.x.x y.y.y.y

!

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.4

encapsulation dot1Q 4

no ip address

!

-----

Can I make the ATM subint part of vlan 4? I would like to configure the ip address for this side of the connection on a layer 3 device connected to a 3750 port that is part of vlan 4. After "atm ip route-bridged", can I configure "encapsulation dot1Q 4"?

Thanks,

That would be a different thing - instead of terminating L3 on the 7200, you want to bridge packets to a 3750.

Note, I recommend that you always terminate ADSL connections on a true router, not a layer3 switch..

Anyway to do that, keep the bridge-group, but eliminate the BVI.

Thanks for the nice rating, and good luck!

Hi Paolo,

I did what you suggested:

1. Keep the bridge-group (bridge-group 4)

2. Eliminate the BVI

3. Made the GigabitEthernet0/1.4 subinterface part of the bridge-group:

interface GigabitEthernet0/1.4

encapsulation dot1Q 4

bridge-group 4

no ip address

When I created interface Vlan4 on the 3750 with ip address in the same subnet as the WAN interface of the remote DSL router, I could ping and telnet to the devices on both ends.

Thank you very much.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: