Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM Switch module and Cisco 5005 switch

Hello All,

I am not sure if this is the right place to ask this question but please directly me to the right place in case I am wrong asking it here.

I need an ATM switch for my home lab in preparation for Service Provider CCIE. I am aware that LS1010 Light stream ATM switch is the way to go but I do not have the money for it. I however, have access to a Cisco 5005 switch. My question is this: Can I have buy a ATM module and use it on the 5005 switch? Will it still serve the same purpose as the LS1010? I have checked few Cisco documentation on this with no definative answer...... Please help.

1 Reply 1

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Stephen,

ATM modules for LAN switch  5505 should be LANE  LAN emulation modules they use ATM but for LAN emulation so I don't think you can use them as a generic ATM switch.

I've read several people have used two routers with SHDSL module connected in back to back to do some practice with ATM.

Or also you can try to get an ATM switch of other vendor for example FORE systems 1000 can be good.

I don't know if you can find one at a cheap price. Of course there is the added burden to learn its CLI.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card