Views
Helpful
Replies

ATM T3/DS3 Dropping Packets

rmeans
Level 3
Level 3

ATM T3/DS3 Dropping Packets

I recently swapped out my 7204 for a 3945 (2 offices).  I have a DS3/T3 circuit that connects to the routers.  After the swap, I began dropping packets at 1 office (about 5% dropped).  The 3945 ATM interface does not show errors.  The 2nd office 3945 and T3 are working fine without troubles or errors.  The configurations on the devices are the same.  The difference between the sites (that I have found) has to do with distance. 

At the failing site – from the 3945 there is about 20 ft of coax.  The coax then connects to a DS3 modem and converts the signal to multimode fiber.  The multimode fiber runs to another building (not sure of the distance).  The multimode fiber connects to another DS3 mode and converts the signal back to coax then connects to the ATM switch.

Working site – 3945 coax connects runs to the ATM switch.

Is there a configuration setting to that adjusts the ATM signaling for distance?

1 Reply 1

vmiller
Level 7
Level 7

There is a cable length command to "adjust" for longer reaches.

Default is 20 feet.

I'd be curious on how the timing is done on that local area circuit

between the two buildings.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: