!

interface ATM1/0

ip address 192.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

atm clock INTERNAL

no atm ilmi-keepalive

pvc 1/200

encapsulation aal5snap

!

please check my configs and advice why can't ping ping .2 addresses.

13 Replies 13

marikakis
Level 7
Level 7

Hello,

1) It is not typical for routers to supply the clock (atm clock internal). The default is to derive clocking from the line (some ATM switch which has better clock stratum levels). Even if this is just two routers connected back-to-back, still only one side should provide the clock.

2) The IP addresses you have on the interfaces are not on the same subnet (unless you changed those to post your config and this is a typo).

3) Check that both your interfaces are in up/up status. If not, you need to check your cables (inverted tx/rx in fiber strands is common error) and any intermediate devices between the routers.

4) You might consider using the "oam-pvc manage" command in pvc configuration mode so that you have PVC failures propagated by the network to the endpoints.

Kind Regards,

M.

To add to excellent Maria's advice, you also must configure a point-to-point subinterface, and put ip address and pvc there.

An ATM main interface is always point-to-multipoint and not suited for sane an simple networking.

Thanks Paolo, I missed that one :-)

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Lawrence,

the ip addresses have to be in the same subnet as noted by Maria

point-to-point subintefaces are to be preferred as noted by Paolo

+

pvc 1/200

protocol ip broadcast

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Guiseppe,

We were lucky enough to have the same very simple ATM setup everywhere across the network. That is point-to-point subinterfaces, and we never needed to use "broadcast" keywords or anything else. It just worked. We had something like this:

interface atm2/0

interface atm2/0.1 point-to-point

ip address ...

mtu ...

pvc 1/200

oam-pvc manage

This was just it. I don't know when the command you mentioned is required. I don't have time to explore this right know, so if you could explain further, I would be grateful.

Kind Regards,

Maria

The wonderful things of this type of threads is that often times they end in a nice conversation among the usual suspects, while the OP never bothers to peep in again to say, "thanks", or "they sent me back to drive the repairs truck".

Paolo, this is probably the case because after some silence, which can be expected as is very common, we kind of forget the volunteer feeling and try to get the best of the conversation mostly for ourselves (either in the point format or in the knowledge format :-)

Ah, ok. I thought it was because telco trucks do not have internet access.

When I see the silence thing, I sometimes wonder if person is still alive. And then I say to myself: if they are still alive, that's ok, at least nothing bad happened!

Mohamed Sobair
Level 7
Level 7

Hi,

As denoted by all of you, all suggestions are valid.

I just wanted to add if the Virtual circuit is up, If the Layer-2 path is not available, the router cant reach the layer-3 address of the peering router.

Check the (VC status).

Pls have alook at the bellow document:

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk39/tk371/technologies_tech_note09186a0080093c99.shtml

HTH

Mohamed

Hi sorry for the late response, my adsl was down so that was the reason I could not access the net and my lab. I have changed my network physical layout but will revert back on monday and will be able to provide feedback then after exercising all your advises or technical assistance.

Thanks for all your efforts and I really appreciate your help, I'm back on line again and enjoying my time again.

Hope everybody is emjoying his/her's too.

I can't help myself from saying that I am truly glad you are still alive! :-) In many cases there is a very simple explanation for late or no response. People sometimes forget or resolve their issues and they soon have to face more issues, and they just don't have the time to respond. I have to say here that when Paolo didn't post for some time in the forum I was quite worried, but he eventually came back and I felt quite better!

Very good. Pardon our jokeful attitude and remember to rate useful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco