Views
Helpful
Replies

Automating configuration of Cisco router

dgerbergss
Level 1
Level 1

Hi there!

I was looking for some help on creating VB scripts to configure Cisco routers. Just basic stuff like setting the SNMP info, setting up my AAA. Stuff like that. If anyone has some sample scripts that should be enogh to get me started.

Thanks for the help!

1 Reply 1

Urfan Khaliq
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

Is there a reason you want to use scripts? You can allow the router/switch to automatically download a config from an available tftp server on your network...

By default, if a router/switch does not have any config on NVRAM, it will place all interfaces into vlan one and broadcast for an IP address, once recieved it will search for a tftp server and attempt to download a config file of the same name as its hostname (which it recieved via DHCP)

You can get full details by having a look through this document...

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/switches/lan/catalyst3560/software/release/12.2_40_se/configuration/guide/swipaddr.html

You may find it a better option as it means one local copy of the config on your tftp server and if you ever want to make changes to the config on the router itself, just amend the copy on the tftp server, write erase the router and reload it! it will then download the new config from the tftp server

Please rate if this helps

Urfan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco