Views
Helpful
Replies

Available Bandwidth

ohareka70
Level 3
Level 3

Hello,

My WAN link to another office is 28MB.  From using iperf i can see that 23MB is available during peak times.  But how can i calculate if this is enough for the users on site.  I know i can check utilization graphs etc but is their a calculation to check how much bandwidth is being used, etc.

regards,

Kevin

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you see the utilization graphs and they average more than 80% substained as well as packet drops on egress on the interface, then bandwidth is not enough.

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

If you see the utilization graphs and they average more than 80% substained as well as packet drops on egress on the interface, then bandwidth is not enough.

I use snmpc software to monitor the network and this link does look as like it needs upgraded.  I also use Netflow to look at the syslog traffic.

Is their any mathematical calculation is can do based on no. of users and applications being hit etc to try and calculate how much of a link will be required?

regards,

Kevin

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Answer really depends on the needs of your traffic.  For bulk data transfers, 100% utilization can be fine provided transfers are accomplished in whatever the necessary time frame is.  For general interactive user traffic, you probably don't want to average more than about 1/2 to about 3/4 utilization.  Mixing the two, you can have 100% utilization as long as you have QoS that insures non-bulk gets the bandwidth when needed; you still don't want non-bulk to exceed its utilization percentages.  In other words, non-bulk can backfill bandwidth not being used by bulk.  Bulk should not be adverse to non-bulk.

e.g.

policy-map sample

class non-bulk

bandwidth percentage 99

fair-queue

class bulk

bandwidth percentage 1

fair-queue

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: