cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Back-to-back routers using a WIC-2T in async mode

steve.potter
Level 1
Level 1

I'm trying to set up two routers connected to each other using RS232 (smartSerial) cables (one DTE, one DCE). Have set the serial ports into 'async mode dedicated', and encapsulation ppp but I cannot get the link to come up. The status (on both sides) shows line up protocol down, and the link flaps between 'up' and 'reset'. Debug ppp shows the Req's going out but no replies. Can anyone suggest what I might be doing wrong?

9 Replies 9

Edison Ortiz
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Did you enter the clock rate command under the serial interface at the DCE side?

__

Edison.

Yes I did try that, and although the command was accepted, it didn't seem to do anything (ie didn't appear on a 'show run')

The command should appear in the show run.

Please post the output from the following commands:

show run

show version

sh controllers | i DTE|DCE

__

Edison.

Show command outputs attached

For info, I have used the cables on a CEM card, they are identified correctly (DTE/DCE RS232), and work OK there.

Appreciate your time Edison, thanks.

Now, it makes sense why the clock rate command didn't appear under the serial interface.

I'm not very familiar with the CEM card configuration and I don't have any around to play with at this moment. Your initial post indicated you had a WIC-2T and that's the reason I replied.

Sorry, but I can't be much of a help here.

__

Edison.

I think I may have confused things! I'm not using the CEM cards for the 'back-to-back', I only refenced it to show that the cables had been tested out. The back-to-back is definately using the WIC-2T (using ports Serial0/3/0 on each router)

Hope that makes more sense.

Steve.

Remove the async configuration, not sure why you needed, that command only applies to low-speed serial interfaces available on Cisco 2520 through Cisco 2523 series routers, and apply the clock rate on the DCE side.

I could do that, but the problem is I will ebventually need to interface to an 'external' async bearer, and it will almost certainly only be a 3-wire connection. The b2b config is just to test it in our lab.

Steve.

Hi, even if the WIC-2T promises asynchronous support, recommend you use a different interface or the AUX port for that, because some the asynch mode could have got insufficient testing and have issues.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: