cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup configuration

WILLIAM STEGMAN
Level 4
Level 4

I'm trying to implement a backup solution for my Internet connection. Right now, I have all my Internet bound traffic going to my Comcast Internet connection through a PIX which is connected to my Cisco 2811 router's fa 0/1. My WAN traffic is headed out a serial T1 connection. Our Atlanta office has an Internet connection that we use as a backup. The current config goes like this.

All WAN traffic is forwarded out the WAN interface, and the default route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 is pointing to Comcast. A static floating route exists that points to the WAN interface, so if I unplug the fa 0/1 (router to PIX connection) all the traffic that would normally go to Comcast, is now re-routed to Atlanta and the Internet successfully. However, the problem is when I take the Comcast cable modem down, the 2811 still sees the fa 0/1 interface as up and forwards Internet bound traffic its way, which of course is now a dead end. I've looked at HSRP, but it seems like that wouldn't work here since it involves making 2 gateways appear as one. I want Internet bound traffic to head toward Comcast unless it is down, and of course I can't send WAN traffic toward Comcast. Does anyone have any ideas for this scenario?

Thank you,

Bill

2 Replies 2

thisisshanky
Level 11
Level 11

You can Use RTR and Track feature to monitor if Comcast gateway is down.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 track 9

##### Default route via Comcast network.

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 serial 0 150

##### floating static route.

rtr 1

type echo protocol ipIcmpEcho

timeout 1000

frequency 3

threshold 2

rtr sched 1 start-time now life forever

!

track 9 rtr 1 reachability

Here is a link to more info on the commands.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/sw/iosswrel/ps5207/products_feature_guide09186a00801d2d74.html

HTH

PS: please remember to rate helpful posts.

Sankar Nair
UC Solutions Architect
Pacific Northwest | CDW
CCIE Collaboration #17135 Emeritus

I only got to test this today, but wanted to say it works great. Thank you very much.

Bill

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card