cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup/Failover Interface

jeff.lew.it
Level 1
Level 1

I've been looking for some way to failover to a backup VPN connection in case our primary Metro-Ethernet connection goes down.  So far, I haven't really found anything that will work.  The closest solution I've found is somehow using either Enhanced Object Tracking or Backup Interface with floating static routes, but I'm getting confused and not sure it's possible for our situation.

We have a single Cisco 1921 router at a branch location with 2 connections to headquarters.  We'd like to configure the 1921 router with both connections and have one of them be a backup/failover connection.  The primary circuit is a 4Mbps Metro-Ethernet connection, and the second (backup/failover) connection is a site-to-site VPN over a single E-1 line. 

Is it somehow possible to have the Metro-Ethernet connection on GE0/1 be a primary connection to headquarters with the site-to-site VPN connection on Serial0/0/0 be a failover or backup connection?  The GE0/0 interface connects to the branch office LAN.  Attached is a diagram to help with clarity.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Jeff,

Static floating route is easiest and simplest to configure to achieve what you are looking. However if you want to do some load balancing you may check the following link:https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/32186/dual-internet-links-nating-pbr-and-ip-sla

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Rajeev Sharma
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hey Jeff,

Static floating route is easiest and simplest to configure to achieve what you are looking. However if you want to do some load balancing you may check the following link:https://supportforums.cisco.com/document/32186/dual-internet-links-nating-pbr-and-ip-sla

HTH.

Regards,

RS.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card