Views
Helpful
Replies

backup Internet connection

vicky.dhas
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

Can nyone tell me wht would be the best way to configure backup internet link.No load sharing required.I want the backup link to become active when primary fails.

thanks

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Thanks a lot Ganesh for your help so far.Few more doubts I have.

Service Provider need to configure anything at their end for this to work?

can we do same failover using LACP?

thanks

No configuration is required at services provider end, all the configuration need to be done at your end router.Can you calrify what exactly the question  for failover using LACP?

Ganesh.H

View solution in original post

10 Replies 10

Ganesh Hariharan
VIP Alumni
VIP Alumni

Hi,

Can nyone tell me wht would be the best way to configure backup internet link.No load sharing required.I want the backup link to become active when primary fails.

thanks

Hi Vicky,

You can achive with the help of PBR in router,check out the below link for more information on configration

http://pierky.wordpress.com/2009/03/28/dual-wan-connection-on-cisco-with-policy-based-routing-pbr/

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_0/qos/configuration/guide/qcpolicy.html

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

Remember to rate the helpful post

Ganesh,what if I go for floating static routing.this wouldnt solve my problem?

thanx

Ganesh,what if I go for floating static routing.this wouldnt solve my problem?

thanx

Yes you can achive the same if you want only failover,Floating routes are secondary routes that are used by a router to reach a destination if the primary route fails. Floating routes are configured just as static routes are; however, an administrative distance (AD) is configured with the static route.

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

I can configure both as static routes one with higher AD ..right?

I can configure both as static routes one with higher AD ..right?

Yes you are right,check out the below link for sample configuration on floating static routes

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk133/technologies_tech_note09186a008009457d.shtml#floating_sampleconfigs

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/tech/tk801/tk133/technologies_configuration_example09186a0080093d6e.shtml

Hope to help !!

Ganesh.H

There is a problem here,

Both the links are Ehternet links.Will Static route can detect failure on ethernet link.?? please advice

thanks

There is a problem here,

Both the links are Ehternet links.Will Static route can detect failure on ethernet link.?? please advice

thanks

Configure ip sla track in router for monitoring the link and automatic failover to secondary link

ip sla 1  
icmp-echo any ip address
timeout 500 
frequency 3
ip sla schedule 1 start-time now life forever
track 1 rtr 1 reachability 

Now for the routing, we need to configure a default route and associate it with the tracker

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.1 track 1

Then we need to add our secondary route

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 1.1.1.2 10

Hope to Help !!

Ganesh.H

thanks

thanks

No configuration is required at services provider end, all the configuration need to be done at your end router.Can you calrify what exactly the question  for failover using LACP?

Ganesh.H

vicky.dhas
Level 1
Level 1

thanks a lot Ganesh.I am clear now

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco