Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Community Member

Backup link ?

Hi ive got two sites with a cisco router at each, we primarly use our main lease line for normal operation which is connected via the fa0/1/3 port on each router. if the line goes down then we have another leased line we can manually switch to which is connected via S0/0/0 of each router. My question is what feature could i use to create an automatic failover to the line connected on the s0/0/0 ports?

many thanks

jonathan

8 REPLIES

Re: Backup link ?

Hi Jonathan, [pls rate if helps]

It depends on what Routing behaviour you need to acheive. You can use Some routing protocols.

Sample recomm....

For the first site you can Use Eigrp adv.. & for the second site you can use Static route with AD more than the normal.

You can also use OSPF & vary the Pri, Sec using Cost Factor.

Pls Rate if Helps

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi,

As Guru said, if your are just using static routes, you can use a floating static route (a static route with a higher AD) for backup:

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 fa0/1/3

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 S0/0/0 254

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Community Member

hi mohammedmahmoud thank you for your reply, so i just edit/create the static routes on each router using your commands displayed above (i guess i subistute the appropiate ip addresses in where youve put 0.0.0.0) and the 254 youve added on to the end of "ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 S0/0/0 ", does that set the AD higher?

many thanks

jonathan

HI Jonathan,

AD means Administrative distance.

"254" - is an integer to increase the AD for the second static route (for failover). Whereas primary static route will not have any AD - it will be default.

PLs rate if Helps

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hi Jonathan,

You are correct, 254 is the AD (the highest available AD, to make sure that this route is always backup whatever the routing protocol of the main route).

I hope that i've been informative, and please never hesitate before asking any question.

HTH, please do rate all helpful replies,

Mohammed Mahmoud.

Community Member

sounds promising i know what eigrp is but whats eigrp adv (im only ccna trained with some experience of CCNP). with the other site AD is that administritive distance?

kind regards

jonathan

HI Jonathan,

Site1 - via Primary - to Site2 = Eigrp

Site1 - via Backup - to Site2 = Static Route

Eigrp Adv means Eigrp advertisements. Link1 to use the Eigrp protocol between two sites.

LInk2 to use the Static route between two sites with AD as 254.

Note:Floating Static Routes will help you more to fix your requirement

Pls Rate if Helps

Best Regards,

Guru Prasad R

Hall of Fame Super Gold

Jonathan

I believe that eigrp adv is eigrp advertisement. And AD is administrative distance.

I would suggest an approach slightly different from my colleagues. If you are going to run EIGRP as a dynamic routing protocol between the 2 sites then I would suggest running EIGRP on both links, and if necessary adjusting the metric to establish a primary path and a backup path. The advantage here is that you do not need any manually configured static routes and the failover will be more effective.

HTH

Rick

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content