Views
Helpful
Replies

Backup T1 by four Adsl

Arielstu1
Level 1
Level 1

Hi

We have a cisco 1941 with line t1 Symmetric, (Also have Cisco 1841 unused, but works)

I would like to connect the Cisco 1841 to four Adsl Backup lines in case the T1 or the Main cisco 1941 go down

I know a BGP is needed on our ISP site,

Question: 

How can i connect four Adsl lines to The cisco 1841 (Backup)  and make them work  in a Load Balancing way

Thanks

2 Replies 2

darren.g
Level 5
Level 5

Ariel Stukalsky wrote:

Hi

We have a cisco 1941 with line t1 Symmetric, (Also have Cisco 1841 unused, but works)

I would like to connect the Cisco 1841 to four Adsl Backup lines in case the T1 or the Main cisco 1941 go down

I know a BGP is needed on our ISP site,

Question: 

How can i connect four Adsl lines to The cisco 1841 (Backup)  and make them work  in a Load Balancing way

Thanks

I don't think you can. The 1841 is a two slot router, and you can only get one port ADSL cards for it, giving a total of 2 ADSL ports.

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/products/ps5853/products_relevant_interfaces_and_modules.html

For information on which cards and modules will fit into an 1841.

Cheers.

sleepyshark
Level 1
Level 1

I'm not exactly sure why you want 4 ADSL circuits?? One thing you need to remember is that a T1 is 1.5m upload, assuming you have a standard ADSL line is 512k upload.  Load balancing traffic across multiple (let use 4) DSL lines doesn't mean you'll be able to achieve 2048k upload, it simply means you'll be able to have four simultaneous 512k uploads going at once *IF* your load balancing equipment is setup correctly.

If you're trying to BOND them (meaning 4 512k DSL circuits would be bonded into ONE 2048k circuit) that would give you the desired result, however there is no ISP (that I know of) that is bonding DSL circuits, simply because it's expensive for them to do that when cable can achieve MUCH higher speeds on one circuit.

Sean

http://www.sleepyshark.com/about/sean-brown-professional-biography/

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: