Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

backup wan connection

I'm planning a backup wan connection that will use an ASA and vpn tunnel as a backup method of WAN connectivity. Right now we have a private BGP AS on a frame, and my idea is to have a floating static route on my WAN router pointing to my ASA that will dynamically build the tunnel should the WAN connection go down using administrative distances. So if the WAN connection goes down, I'll lose all the routes that exist on the WAN, 172.16.0.0/16, and when that happens I'll have a floating static route to 172.16.0.0/16 kick in and build the tunnel to a remote location connected to the same WAN frame. The other end of the VPN tunnel will have been advertising my network via a higher admin distance with floating static routes being redistributed into BGP using a route map and access list. The hope is that the floating static routes will be redistributed into BGP under normal operations with a higher administrative distance, so if my WAN connection would go down and the normal eBGP route with an admin distance of 20 would be removed from the BGP frame and this floating static route would then appear in the routing table of all the other routers at locations using our WAN.

Does anyone see any holes with this, and am I assuming correctly that a route map tied to the redistribution of static routes into BGP can contain floating static routes, which of course have admin distances that keep them out of the routing table until a primary route goes down?

Thank you,

Bill

1 REPLY
Silver

Re: backup wan connection

No, there is no any method to display a pop up message. But You can see the user available in the network through command 'sh user' for the further details follow the URL :

http://www.cisco.com/en/US/docs/ios/12_3/termserv/command/reference/ter_l1g.html#wp1000969

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease to create content