cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth between routers

dtom
Level 1
Level 1

We have two routers connecte via a WAN link which is supose to be a 1GB link.  How can we tell if the link really is a 1GB link?                  

2 Replies 2

Leo Laohoo
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame
We have two routers connecte via a WAN link which is supose to be a 1GB link.

When you say 1 Gbps link, does it mean 1 Gbps uplink and 1 Gbps downlink?

Or are you talking about 1 Gbps total?

The only way is to run a stress test.  I believe Fluke Optiview XR is capable of measuring your WAN/LAN link.

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

I would guess your WAN connection hand-off is Ethernet, if so, the connected interface show interface stats should show the physical connection speed.

WAN Ethernet often has logical bandwidth caps applied by the WAN vendor.  They might be "soft", i.e. you can exceed them (often with a surcharge if done) or with "hard", you won't be able to exceed them.  The latter can be confirmed by using traffic generators.  Push gig amount of traffic into the near side and "see" how much comes out the far side.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card