Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth Limitation

shijomon scaria
Level 1
Level 1

Dear All,

My HO is connected to my BOs using MPLS.

I want to limit the traffic from a BO host y.y.y.y to my HO server x.x.x.x.

Suppose I have 1 Mb bandwidth in my BO, the traffic to HO server x.x.x.x from BO host y.y.y.y should not exceed 256 Kb. How can i acheive it.

Thanks in advance.

Shijo.

9 Replies 9

XIE YAO
Level 1
Level 1

If the traffic is from BO server to HO server, then on BO router.

class-map XX

match access-group 100

access-l 100 per ip host y.y.y.y.y host x.x.x.x

policy-map child

class XX

police  256000

policy-map parent

class class-default

shape average 1000000

service-policy child

Interface XX

service-policy parent out

You might consider the return traffic as well

Regards

XIE Yao

Dear XIE,

Thank you very much for you quick reply.

Let me clarify something.

As per my understanding this will limit the traffic from BO host to HO server within 256 Kb. But if the BO host downloads data from the server at HO what will happen ?? Does this configuration is sufficient for bidirectional traffic ?

Thanks,

Shijo.

Hi Shjo,

As XIE already mentioned, you need to think about the return traffic which is what you just mentioned.

You can do by using rate-limiters on the interface (this would limit al the traffic coming from outside to BO) or use the same MQC style like XIE posted above but in the other direction.

let us knw if you need more info

Dear Kishore,

Thanks for the reply.

I tried applying it in the other direction but i got the below error message.

"Traffic Shaping feature not supported in input policy."

Regards,

Shijo.

Hi shijo

Shaping is allowed only outbound. You need to use  policing on the BO router. Or you can use shaping on the HO router.

This is preferred as this will save the bandwidth across the link as well.

Shaping is better as it s not aggresive n doesnt drop traffic thereby avoiding tcp retransmits

Regards

Hi Kishore,

I tried policing on the BO router and it works fine in terms of bandwidht limiting but as you said there is a chance of traffic dropping.

I have many BOs connected to my HO. Obiviously my HO bandwith is much higher than the BO bandwidth.

If I want to limit traffic from particular HO servers (shaping ) to each and every BOs I should create separate policies for each location based on host and destination right ??

Regards,

Shijo.

Dear XIE,

If i have multiple elements (ie; source and destication) in ACL to match how the bandwidth allocation will happen. The whole traffic will use a maximum of 256 Kb or individual will use 256 Kb.

Thanks,

Shijo.

Hi,

the below might help you to limit the traffic in both direction.

access-list 100 deny ip host y.y.y.y any
access-list 100 permit ip host y.y.y.y.y host x.x.x.x
access-list 101 deny ip host x.x.x.x
access-list 101 permit ip host x.x.x.x host y.y.y.y

interface XXX
descripion WAN Interface
rate-limit output access-group 100 256000 96000 96000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop
rate-limit input access-group 101 256000 96000 96000 conform-action transmit exceed-action drop

Hi Syed,

Thanks for the reply.

Regards,

Shijo.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card