Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth limiting on Cisco 3825 outside interface to 10MB

Stephen Kelly
Level 1
Level 1

Good Morning,

We have a new 100MB internet service, but we only pay for 10MB and above that is a per/MB fee and not cheap. I want to limit all traffic inbound and outbound only to use up to 10MB on the outside interface of our Cisco 3825. What and how is the best way to do this?

9 Replies 9

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

You can limit outbound with traffic shaping. and inbound with shaping as well, applied on the internal interface.

If you have no previous experience with  this type of configs would be better if you could  work with a reputable consultant, or certified Cisco partner.

Hi Paolo,

Just out of curiousity, can you bit elaborate and explain how on that internal interface thing.

Regards,

Smitesh

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Disclaimer

The   Author of this posting offers the information contained within this   posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that   there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose.   Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not   be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of  this  posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In   no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including,   without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising  out  of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if  Author  has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Paolo describes, an outbound shaper can control your bandwidth utilization to the Internet.

Inbound is a problem.  Since you can't effectively control it inbound, but your provider can, either the provider should limit your rate inbound or not charge you for it.  If you can't get this from the provider, and if you only want the 10 Mbps, ask about running the Ethernet hand-off physically at 10 Mbps.

Joseph, you can shape the interface facing users. That works fine.

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

Paolo Bevilacqua wrote:

Joseph, you can shape the interface facing users. That works fine.

If you just want to regulate bandwidth obtainable by downstream devices, yes it (or a policer) does work fine.  If you want to fully regulate bandwidth used upstream down to your shaper (or policer), "your mileage might vary".  It can be better than nothing, but in my experience, it hasn't worked fine for me.  Non-rate adaptive flows don't care and rate adaptive flows can burst over your logical limits (on the upstream side).

Also using a shaper, rather than a policer, might not work as well regulating ingress bandwidth as a policer.  This because even for rate-adaptive flows, they might not know to slow until the shaper's queues overflow.  I.e. policers usually drop sooner and hence provide feedback to the sending source to slow sooner.  (NB: here too your "mileage might might vary" because some of the newest TCP stacks closely monitor RTT, and if they see it jump, they will slow.)

With all the foregoing noted, if your provider has a generous measurement period, and if you're dealing with rate adaptive flows, shaping or policing often do average out close to what they are configured for long term.

This property of short term vs. long term measurements also means you can sometimes set you configuration to drop sooner rather than later, which provides feedback to rate adaptive flows sooner which means they are less likely to burst over your logical cap.  (Also again, newer TCP stacks that closely monitor RTT aren't as sensitive to needing drops for flow control.  I.e. shaping might work as well for them as a policer.)

In any case, to summarize, it's generally easy to set an outbound shaper (or policer) to avoid busting logical egress caps, but it's not so easy to avoid busting logical ingress caps especially if you actually want to take full advantage of the bandwidth you're paying for.  (NB: BTW, this is similar problem to managing ingress upstream bandwidth for specifc QoS purposes, e.g. to guarantee bandwidth for something like VoIP.)

PS:

What can work well with ingress rate-adaptive TCP flows, is using an appliance that regulates (spoofs) both current RWIN and paces outbound ACKs.  Unfortunately, the former, as far as I know isn't available as an IOS feature.  I've done the latter, but haven't found an IOS offering the granularity needed to do it well.

Joseph, I agree 100% with your explaination.

I was just saying what can be done in practice and that has worked well for me in the past. Note, shaping not policing.

Sure, IOS is not Packeteer. Luckly ::)

rizwanr74
Level 7
Level 7

Hi Stephen,

I have used this config below, it works like cham and you may change bandwidth as per your desire level and it is very easy to follow.

Here you go...

My internal networks.

ip access-list extended NETWORK-10
permit ip 10.0.10.0 0.0.0.255 any
permit ip any 10.0.10.0 0.0.0.255

ip access-list extended NETWORK-20
permit ip 10.0.20.0 0.0.0.255 any
permit ip any 10.0.20.0 0.0.0.255

ip access-list extended NETWORK-30
permit ip 10.0.30.0 0.0.0.255 any
permit ip any 10.0.30.0 0.0.0.255

Now identify those networks into a class with some intuitive class-names.

class-map match-any 250-kbit
  match access-group name NETWORK-10

class-map match-any 512-kbit
  match access-group name NETWORK-20

class-map match-any 1-Mbit
  match access-group name NETWORK-30

Now create a policy and import the above classes you created above and you limite the bandwidth usage by policing and "exceed-action drop"

policy-map RIZ-POLICY
  class 250-kbit
   police cir 250000
     conform-action transmit
     exceed-action drop
  class 512-kbit
   police cir 500000
     conform-action transmit
     exceed-action drop
  class 1-Mbit
   police cir 1000000
     conform-action transmit
     exceed-action drop
!

At last you apply the policy in the both direction, yes both directions.

!
interface FastEthernet0/0
ip address dhcp
ip nat outside
speed 100
full-duplex

!
interface FastEthernet0/1
ip address 10.10.10.2 255.255.255.252
ip nat inside
speed 100
full-duplex
service-policy input RIZ-POLICY
service-policy output RIZ-POLICY

!
ip nat inside source list NAT interface FastEthernet0/0 overload
ip classless

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 192.168.0.1
ip route 10.0.0.0 255.0.0.0 10.10.10.1

ip access-list extended NAT
permit ip 10.0.10.0 0.0.0.255 any
permit ip 10.0.20.0 0.0.0.255 any
permit ip 10.0.30.0 0.0.0.255 any

Let me know, if that helps.

Thanks

Rizwan Rafeek.

This worked wonderfully for me. One question though. I have tested this but still have my doubts so if you could clarify. I changed the police cir to police cir percent 10 and I'm only preventing one ip address at this utulization. Will the other ip addresses take precedence and use 100% first and then if it's available 10% or will this ip always get 10% and now I have effectively only have 90% for the rest of my network. Forgive me if I'm unclear in advance.

Hi Audob,

I will answer your question with attaching your question, for the sake of clarity.

"Will the other ip addresses take precedence and use 100% first"

Yes that is correct, policing will be subjected as per the ACL in the class, meaning if the IPs or IP ranges not found in the ACL, will not be subjected to policing.

"if it's available 10% or will this ip always get 10%"

Policing will keep the bandwidth utilization no more than 10 percent for all time for the given IP or IP ranges. However you chose to exceed utilization above 10 percent when there is bandwidth available, then do not police the utilization and 10 percent of bandwidth will be reserved for that given IP or IP ranges if you choose to without policing.

"now I have effectively only have 90% for the rest of my network"

When there is no congestion on the circuit, all traffic will be able to utilize 100 percent of the bandwidth remain and when there is a congestion, those percentage you allocated for a particular class will have reserved bandwidth and every other traffic will be subjected FIFO (first in, first out and trail drop as congestion avoidance)

Thanks

Rizwan Rafeek.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card