Views
Helpful
Replies

Bandwidth required for EIGRP and GRE Tunnel

krishna.vv
Level 1
Level 1

HI,

We have IPSEC, GRE Tunnel, EIGRP Running over a Satellite link with delay of almost 1000 Ms between two CISCO Routers. I would like to know if any one can help me with average bandwidth which would be consumed for running the below :

1. IPSEC

2. EIGRP

3. GRE Tunnel

All the parameters are set to default.

Please help me with bandwdith required for having each one of them individually.

This is required for me two know what load the above three are putting on my VSAT link.

Thanks in advance for your assiatance.

Regards,

Vamsi Krishna.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Vamsi,

The answer to all of your questions is that it depends on your particular situation. One thing you can do is to enable 'ip nbar protocol-discovery' on the interface and then issue the 'sh ip nbar protocol-discovery' command to get an idea of what protocols are using what bandwidth.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Pareshz

View solution in original post

2 Replies 2

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi Vamsi,

The answer to all of your questions is that it depends on your particular situation. One thing you can do is to enable 'ip nbar protocol-discovery' on the interface and then issue the 'sh ip nbar protocol-discovery' command to get an idea of what protocols are using what bandwidth.

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Pareshz

leonvd79
Level 4
Level 4

Hello Krishna,

GRE and ESP tunneling protocols are used together frequently. GRE adds 24 bytes of overhead to the packet before it undergoes encapsulation again by ESP.Using 3DES and SHA, ESP will add an additional overhead of 56 bytes.

EIGRP routing protocol has granular control over bandwidht usage. Typically EIGRP would not use more than 50% of the available bandwidth - which is adminstratively configured through the "bandwidth " interface command.

The amount of bandwidht consumed by routing information can be controlled through the "ip bandwidth-percent eigrp " interface command.

The total amount of bandwidth required, depends on your application needs. The MTU on the tunnel will be somewhere around the 1420 bytes.

HTH

Leon

* Please rate useful posts.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card