Views
Helpful
Replies

bandwidth throttling experiment

pcexhaust
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I'm working on an experiment where I can get around bandwidth throttling. For simplicity in reading, I will refer to the “throttled network” as the ISP and my connection to the ISP as WAN.

The ISP controls the throughput of each network connection (bandwidth throttling). It limits the maximum throughput across its network to less than 1000Kbps. The throttling is based off your MAC address. I have one network connection (Ethernet) from my WAN to the ISP.

I'm trying to increase my throughput by combining multiple connections to the ISP. Each connection would have its own IP and MAC address and the ISP would see each one as a separate node. Since I only have as single connection to the ISP, I have to split this one connection with a switch or hub.

The following are my ideas. If you have any other suggests or comments, please let me know.

Idea 1:

First, I split the single Ethernet connection with a hub. Please note that I can split the connection and there is no port security on the other end. I then run two cat5 cables from the hub to my Cisco router's Ethernet interfaces. Next, I configure load balancing between the two Ethernet connections. This should increase my throughput on certain applications. What do you think?

Idea 2:

I was hoping that I could put multiple MAC address and IPs on Ethernet sub-interfaces. However, it looks like the only way to do this is if the interface is configured for 802.1Q. I'm not sure if there is another way to do it.

Thanks,

Kemp

0 Replies 0
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card