Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Banner question - delimiter not recognized as ending the text

I am unable to add a banner to a particular 6506-E.  All other 6506-E are fine except for this one switch.

hostname#conf t

hostname(config)# banner motd ^

Enter TEXT message.  End with the character '^'.

This is a test.

^

Unfortunately, the last ^ delimiter is not "recognized".  The switch won't "end" the banner input.  Nothing I can do seems to allow the switch to accept that the text is "over".  It's only happening on this one switch. Other like switches (any other device for that matter - switches, routers, firewalls, etc.) are all fine.

The above happens on both motd and login.  I've tried other characters as delimiters and still am unable to complete the banner.

Short of reloading the switch, is there any other known workaround?  Has anyone else come across this before?  I don't mind opening a TAC incident; just seemed silly to open one for this kind of question.

Thanks.

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Does the same problem appear if you use a different delimiting character, say, # or $? Also, when I did an experiment, I could interrupt the banner motd mode using the or combination. Would this work for you?

This would appear to be an IOS bug, anyway. Is the IOS version you're running on the affected switch the same as on all the other switches?

Best regards,

Peter

2 REPLIES
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Does the same problem appear if you use a different delimiting character, say, # or $? Also, when I did an experiment, I could interrupt the banner motd mode using the or combination. Would this work for you?

This would appear to be an IOS bug, anyway. Is the IOS version you're running on the affected switch the same as on all the other switches?

Best regards,

Peter

Whoa

Yes, I had tried other delimiting characters.  Strangely, I just never tried the # sign.  That worked.

For what it's worth, I'm on 12.2 (17r) with no immediate plans to upgrade.  But so are my cores. They seemed to be OK with th ^ character.  This guy wasn't.  But the # works, so I'm happy for now. :-)

Thanks.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content