Views
Helpful
Replies

basic failover question

comechivos
Level 1
Level 1

hello,

my question is the following, I have a cisco 2600 router connected to a T1 line and a 30 Mbps cablemodem line, I want the cablemodem as my primary connection and the T1 as my backup connection, when the cablemodem goes down, I want the T1 up and running.

I did this with priorities y the ip route command, BUT when I restart the router, the priorities changes, and when the cablemodem goes down and the T1 goes up I have to configure NAT manually. Im a begginner, so I need your help!!

here is my running config

15 Replies 15

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Try the following changes:

no ip nat inside source list 1 pool cablemodem overload

ip nat inside source route-map CABLEMAP pool cablemodem overload

ip nat inside source route-map T1MAP pool t1 overload

!

route-map CABLEMAP permit 10

match ip address 1

match interface

!

route-map T1MAP permit 10

match ip address 1

match interface

!

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

thank you so much.

should I leave the ip route Priorities????and if I 've to leave them, how can I do to make them static? because they change when I reboot the router.

thanks

I presume you mean the Administrative Distance when you say priority. I would suggest that you remove it from the primary route and leave it on the secondary route so that it becomes a floating static route.

Paresh

the problem with that is..... when I remove the administrative distance, appear automatically again with a 254 value, and if I leave it, it changes to 254 too. so, do you know how to make it static?

Enter in the following:

no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 64.84.44.1 240

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 64.84.44.1

copy run to start

Then, do a 'show run' to see what you get.

Paresh

I did that already, and when I remove it, appears again automatically with a 254 (maximun) value.

Can you do a screen capture (log) of what you are typing in, followed by a 'sh run' and then post the output ? There's something weird going on...

Paresh

I just do what you are saying,

no ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 64.84.44.1 240

!

ip route 0.0.0.0 0.0.0.0 64.84.44.1

by the time, everythin is ok, But when I reboot or shutdown the interface and bring it back again the administrative distance changes to 254 again.

thats all I do.

mm, I think is done, I set the administrative distance of the T1 line to 255, bigger than the cablemoden automatic, so I think its done, but Im not sure, because I cant shut down the router right now, I tested the failover, it worked fine, the only problem was the administrative distance that I think is fixed now.so, tomorrow I ll test everithing.

Thank you so much

nop, It didnt work with a 255 administrative distance value....

any idea?

An admin distance of 255 makes the route unreachable. You can use any non-255 AD as long as the AD for the preferred route is less than that for the backup route.

Paresh

yes I know that, but the cablemodem line has an 254 value, and I cannot change it, when I change it, goes back to 254 automatically., so I need to make that static.

can you understand me? maybe not, because my english is so bad, because I m from Argentina.

sorry about that

I knew you were from Argentina/Latin America when I read your first post because you wrote "y" instead of "and". I do that sometimes when I am speaking Spanish.

Thanks for posting your problem... I actually had a question about this same problem and now it is answered.

Cuidate,

Brandon

Hi,

Your English is fine, mate :-)

What I am having trouble with is how you keep getting the AD of 254 on your static route. That is very odd and does not work in reality.

Also, I noticed that you posted your config earlier but it seems to have disappeared now. Could you re-post it ?

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Innovations in Cisco Full Stack Observability - A new webinar from Cisco