Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic question on community behavior, BGP

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi,

Please find attached detailed diagram and question.

Can someone explain why "R2" would see the aforementioned route 10.2.0.0?

If the 'noexport' option is on, and R2 is on a different AS, I thought that only R1 could see such route 10.2.0.0. How can the route get propagated to the neighbor AS R2 is in?

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Note that the network 10.2.0.0/16 has the NO-EXPORT community set only when advertised to the R2. In other words, in R1's BGP database, the network 10.2.0.0/16 does not have any community so its propagation is not limited. The NO-EXPORT community attribute will be added to it only when advertising that network to R2 but again, it will not be stored in R1's database. An outgoing route-map modifies BGP attributes on the fly but it does not modify the actual BGP database on the router - it modifies only the advertisements. Of course, if R2 accepts this community then it will not propagate the network to another AS, exactly as NO-EXPORT suggests.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Best regards,

Peter

View solution in original post

1 Reply 1

Peter Paluch
Cisco Employee
Cisco Employee

Hello,

Note that the network 10.2.0.0/16 has the NO-EXPORT community set only when advertised to the R2. In other words, in R1's BGP database, the network 10.2.0.0/16 does not have any community so its propagation is not limited. The NO-EXPORT community attribute will be added to it only when advertising that network to R2 but again, it will not be stored in R1's database. An outgoing route-map modifies BGP attributes on the fly but it does not modify the actual BGP database on the router - it modifies only the advertisements. Of course, if R2 accepts this community then it will not propagate the network to another AS, exactly as NO-EXPORT suggests.

I hope this clarifies things a bit.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card