Views
Helpful
Replies

Basic question on "CAR"

news2010a
Level 3
Level 3

Hi folks,

I am dealing with a service provider which offers "Gold CAR"service. For example, for an E1 speed, I see that I could get "EF Gold CAR" = 512Kbps.

The way I understand is that "Gold CAR" would be an internal marketing term used for "policing". Am I right?

If that is correct, do you know if such "Gold CAR" = 512Kbps on an E1 means that traffic which exceeds 512Kbps will be policed.

Please let me know if my interpretation is right.

Regards,

Marlon

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marlon,

CAR = committed access rate is the name of a legacy policer introduced before of modular QoS

>> If that is correct, do you know if such "Gold CAR" = 512Kbps on an E1 means that traffic which exceeds 512Kbps will be policed.

I do agree, exceeding GOLD packets will be or down marked or dropped depending on the actions configured on the SP policer

EF exceeding packets will be probably down marked to 00

Hope to help

Giuseppe

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Marlon,

CAR = committed access rate is the name of a legacy policer introduced before of modular QoS

>> If that is correct, do you know if such "Gold CAR" = 512Kbps on an E1 means that traffic which exceeds 512Kbps will be policed.

I do agree, exceeding GOLD packets will be or down marked or dropped depending on the actions configured on the SP policer

EF exceeding packets will be probably down marked to 00

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Great.

So it customer should select which type of selected traffic would be marked as "EF".

Do you know if the customer normally marks the traffic at the CE router, or the customer would just tell the provider, "Make SAP, voice and whatever application" marked as EF? I mean, in order to mark the traffic QoS marking at the customer side will be required, right?

Hello Marlon,

it is higlhly recommended to mark traffic on CE side, SP will provide good service to conformant traffic but it cannot know what is important for the customer.

I would also suggest to control with outbound shaping that traffic is compliant by shaping to a rate slighly lower then rate expected by SP

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card