Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

Bronze

Basic Question

can RIP perform load balancing?. i am going to have fibre link and a frame-link connected to a 3600 series router.they are currently using RIP. this site is central site and 16 remote sites connect back to it. do i have to use OSPF or igrp?

3 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Silver

Re: Basic Question

Arvind

Yes RIP can and does perform load balancing. If RIP finds two (or more) equal metric paths to a destination it will put both routes into the routing table and traffic will balance over the paths.

Remember that the metric for RIP is hops, so it will evaluate whether two paths are equal metric by comparing how many hops to the destination on each link (fiber and frame relay).

HTH

Rick

Hi there,

Notice that there is a limitaion to the number of routes that RIP can load balance over:

Configuring Equal-Cost RIP Routes

To set the maximum number of routes that RIP can insert into the routing table., use the rip equal-cost command Enter a number from 1 to 15. The default is 1. For example:

(config)# rip equal-cost 4

To reset the number of routes to the default value of 1, enter:

(config)# no rip equal-cost

Bronze

great, one of the engineers was having a discussion with me with respect to an IPT solution im doing and he was telling me that RIP doesnt do it and i have to redo all sites to use ospf. i checked and i saw that it can be done but obviously wasnt too sure hence the question.

thanks again and for future reference im gonna revise my link state and vector routing protocols so i wont have to ask this type of question again... :)

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content