Views
Helpful
Replies

Best Route

Joe Lee
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

Please see attched. There are two circuits, internet and MPLS that are connected to the router, and there is a LAN network 192.168.0.0/24 is connected to the router. Here is what we would like to implement.

1. The internet traffic (80, 443) goes to the internet circut.

2. The traffic FTP and telnet goes to the MPLS circuit.

3. When internet circuit is down, all internet traffic (80&443) switches to the MPLS cirucit.

4. When internet circuit comes back up, the internt traffic restores to internet circuit.

5. When the utilization of the MPLS circuit hits to 90%, it will use both circuts till the utilization is less than 90%, then the traffic of FTP and telnet only goes to MPLS cirucit.

Any thoughts? I would appriciate.

Regards,

Joe

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joe

As I read your post I believe that we could give you better answers if we had a better understanding of your environment and of your real requirements. But based on what you have told us so far here are my responses:

- I believe that you could achieve 1, 2, 3, and 4 with a combination of an appropriate dynamic routing protocol, policy based routing, and IP SLA.

- I believe that any requirement that is based on changing routing based on percentage busy of some resource is probably going to require Performance Based Routing.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

View solution in original post

4 Replies 4

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Joe

As I read your post I believe that we could give you better answers if we had a better understanding of your environment and of your real requirements. But based on what you have told us so far here are my responses:

- I believe that you could achieve 1, 2, 3, and 4 with a combination of an appropriate dynamic routing protocol, policy based routing, and IP SLA.

- I believe that any requirement that is based on changing routing based on percentage busy of some resource is probably going to require Performance Based Routing.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

Hi Rick,

Thanks for your help. We are running VPN over the Internet circuit and it is using eBGP as well as on MPLS cirucit.

I' m not familar with Performance Based Routing. Do you have any sample configuration? Much appriciate.

Thanks,

Joe

Disclaimer

The Author of this posting offers the information contained within this posting without consideration and with the reader's understanding that there's no implied or expressed suitability or fitness for any purpose. Information provided is for informational purposes only and should not be construed as rendering professional advice of any kind. Usage of this posting's information is solely at reader's own risk.

Liability Disclaimer

In no event shall Author be liable for any damages whatsoever (including, without limitation, damages for loss of use, data or profit) arising out of the use or inability to use the posting's information even if Author has been advised of the possibility of such damage.

Posting

As Rick already noted, PfR might be a solution (also believe it can address all your points).

Sample configurations and additional documentation can be found searching Cisco's main site.

Joe

I am glad that my suggestion was helpful. Thank you for using the rating system to mark the question as answered. I know a little about how Performance Based Routing works but have not used it myself and do not have any sample configs that I can share. Like Joseph I would suggest that a search of the Cisco site would be the place to start. And perhaps some other participant in the forum might have something to share.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card