Views
Helpful
Replies

best router for WAN link

frondinone
Level 1
Level 1

Hello,

I am looking for a router that with two 10/100 interfaces that will handle at least 20 Mbps throughput. I am looking at the 2811 but the video gives me the impression that it can only handle throughput for a few t1/e1 interfaces.

Can someone recommend a router to handle the thoughput I would need?

Thanks,

Frank

5 Replies 5

Joseph W. Doherty
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Using Danilo's reference, you'll generally want to use the Fast/CEF Switching Mbps rating. Remember, both to leave headroom, perhaps as much as 50%, and remember to account for both directions. For instance, is the 20 Mbps you note 10 Mbps duplex, as if connected with 10 Mbps links, or 20 Mbps duplex throughput, as possible on 100 Mbps links? If the latter, to play safe, you'll want a router that has a rating for 80 Mbps or better, e.g. the 2821, but if the former, a 2801 should suffice.

Also keep in mind, whether you'll need to sustain a certain throughput, or you might burst to it. If the latter, you can use a less powerful router, e.g. even the 2801 might be sufficient for bursts to 20 Mbps, even duplex.

PS:

Since you've only mentioned Ethernet and LAN bandwidth throughputs, if this router is just for LAN routing, you might also want to consider a L3 switch. You'll need to carefully insure features are acceptable, but something like the Catalyst 3560-8PC offers much more raw performance than any 2800 series router. Its price might be attractive to you too.

Thanks for your replies. This is perfect.

I'm looking into the L3 switch now.

Frank

To have a 3560 switch "route" you need the enhanced image as described below -

The Cisco Catalyst 3560 is available with either the IP Base or IP Services software images and can be upgraded to the Advanced IP Services software image. The IP Base software (formerly called the Standard Multilayer Image or SMI) includes advanced QoS, rate-limiting, ACLs, and basic routing and IPv6 functionality. The IP Services software (formerly called the Enhanced Multilayer Image or EMI) provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing as well as policy-based routing (PBR). The Advanced IP Services software includes IPv6 routing and IPv6 ACL support.

The software to provide the routing functionality costs extra - about $1500.

For that money you could buy 2 2801s or a couple of 1811s.

I have a 1811 doing a L2L vpn to a 2821 on a somewhat under utilized 50MBb fiber link with no problem.

A dual ethernet 1811 costs under $800.

We had originally been doing it with a 2821 and a 3560 but the ipsec tunnel had problems and after working with TAC we were told that even though the ipsec commands were present in the 3560 they were not fully supported. So we had to stop using the 3560 family.

YMMV

Are you sure about: "To have a 3560 switch "route" you need the enhanced image as described below "?

From: http://www.cisco.com/en/US/prod/collateral/switches/ps5718/ps5528/product_data_sheet09186a00801f3d7d.html

"The Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series can be purchased with the IP Base or IP Services licenses

pre-installed. The IP Base license (formerly called the Standard Multilayer Image, or SMI) offers advanced QoS, rate limiting, ACLs, and basic static and Routing Information Protocol (RIP) routing functions. The IP Services license (formerly called the Enhanced Multilayer Image, or EMI) provides a richer set of enterprise-class features, including advanced hardware-based IP unicast and IP Multicast routing as well as policy-based routing (PBR). The Advanced IP Services license, although not available as a pre-installed option, upgrades Cisco Catalyst 3560 Series switches to include IPv6 routing and IPv6 ACL support. Upgrade licenses are available to upgrade a switch from the IP Base license to the IP Services license or Advanced IP Services license as well as from the IP Services license to the Advanced IP Service license."

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card