Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP advertisement problem

jeffbriones
Level 1
Level 1

hi guys,

im having some problem with my provider. when i advertise 2 networks of /24, our link is flapping, ping is not 100%. when i advertise only 1 network, everything is ok. is this any work around here?

tnx.

jeff

3 Replies 3

mheusinger
Level 10
Level 10

Hi,

by default BGP will accept any number of prefixes from a neighbor. Any other behaviour can only be implemented through configuration.

So if your peering goes down, when you announce more than one prefix, then the ISP has implemented a maximum number of prefixes (probably). So talk to your ISP.

Regards, Martin

hi martin,

actually the problem originates from our provider and they dont know what to do. thats why ive ask if someone has encountered this.

tnx.

jeff

WOW,

the customer has to post in a forum to fix his ISP network problems? That is rather new to me.

Anyhow, will they give insight into their router (vendor, CPU load, memory consumption, config)?

Without this info there is little to do but wild guessing.

What I would do:

1) check config - any features enabled, which could lead to the observed behaviour?

2) check memory - should be enough free mem

3) check CPU load - not more than 40% average

So organize those infos and we will be happy to assist. In addition: did you check the points above on your side?

Regards, Martin

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card