Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Advertisment

dschuckman
Level 1
Level 1

Good Evening.

I am having a serious issue right now. I currently have two DS3's that provide bandwidth to my network and am awaiting the installation of an OC3 to replace one of the DS3's. I currently am struggling with some bandwidth issues for the following reasons. My two DS3's come from two seperate carriers. However one DS3 seems to be prefered over the other. I am maxing one DS3 out while the other is only running at aproximately 50-60%. I believe the issue to be caused by the path for each DS3. Both DS3's eventually terminate in CHicago however one is a direct connect(Maxed DS3) and the other show a longer path or it has an extra hop before making it to chicago. I run BGP between the two routers supporting the DS3's and then BGP between my networks and my SP's so what I am working with is a multi-homed bgp network. Is there anyway to manipulate the advertisement so that both paths look equal and hopefully bandwidth will equal out? so lets say add a weight to the maxed DS3 and make it look as though it is the same disatance as the not so maxed DS3. I know that this message is a little bit all over the place that is waht happens when you are half asleep and trying to figure out a solution to by sometime until the new link is completed.

Thanks for any help.

David

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

Hi,

Actually, I'm not sure that would work - you would have to pre-pend by applying a route-map to the BGP neighbor, as such:

neighbor route-map PREPEND out

!

route-map PREPEND permit 10

match ip address

set as-path prepend 120

Hope that helps - pls rate the post if it does.

Paresh

View solution in original post

5 Replies 5

pkhatri
Level 11
Level 11

Hi David,

Can you advise whether the traffic problem is inbound or outbound or both ? In which direction(s) is the DS3 maxed out ?

Paresh

dschuckman
Level 1
Level 1

Sorry about that. The DS3 is maxed on the inbound. I am running 97% on the return from the internet or on downloads for uploads or outgoing it is only around 30%.

Hi again,

Here's a strategy I would use:

1. Configure AS-PATH prepending on the routes you advertised out via the stressed DS3. Start of with pre-pending one instance of your AS#

2. Soft-clear your connection and let the routes dissipate over the Interet

3. Observe traffic for a few hours and compare with the corresponding period before the change

4. If there is not much difference, go back to step 1 and add another instance of your AS#

You should find that you reach a point where you start getting a nice balance between the two links.

Paresh

Can you verify for me is the following the configuration that I would want to attempt.

eg.

router(config)#route-map setfromtag permit 10

router(config-route-map)#match tag 5

router(config-route-map)#set as-path prepend 120 120

router(config-route-map)#end

router(config)#router bgp 120

router(Config-router)#redistribute ospf 101 route-map setfromtag

Does that look like what I should attempt?

I am also going to open a tac case on this to verify. Thanks for the assitance thus far.

Thanks

David

Hi,

Actually, I'm not sure that would work - you would have to pre-pend by applying a route-map to the BGP neighbor, as such:

neighbor route-map PREPEND out

!

route-map PREPEND permit 10

match ip address

set as-path prepend 120

Paresh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card