cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Aggregation

arun
Level 1
Level 1

Guys, i am new to BGP. I like to know the exact difference between Route summariztion and aggregation. please help.

Thanks in advance.

2 Replies 2

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Arun,

in the BGP context you can create less specific IP prefixes if more specific (component routes) exist.

Generally speaking this can be called a route summarization process or the creation of an aggregate prefix.

We could say that aggregation is more specific of BGP and route summarization is a more general term that applies to internal protocols.

From a configuration point of view, the aggregate-address can be used to create summary /aggregate routes in BGP

At least one component route has to be present in the BGP table in order for the aggregate to be adevrtised.

The old way to do this was to use a static route to null0 (floating static route) + a network command with a mask that is equal to that of the aggregate you want to create.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

Jon Marshall
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Arun

As Giuseppe has said in your other recent thread rating a 1 means that the answer was not helpful. I'm assuming that you meant to give it a 5 as there is nothing unhelpful about Giuseppe's replies.

Jon

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card