Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

BGP and Prefix-list

guys just a quick one.........suppose there are three sites A,B,c all are connected via bgp and have seprate AS's.

now if site A is advertising site B network suppose 192.168.1.0/24. so site b is connted via BGP with c as well the route will be in site B table.....so that specific route would be advertise to site C by B by default as they are connected as well via BGP(keeping in mind that site c doesnt need to get this route)? if yes why if not why??? is this why we use prefix-list?? ic ant get my head around it. Thanks guys in advance

6 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

Re: BGP and Prefix-list

now if site A is advertising site B network suppose 192.168.1.0/24.

Site A owns the route in BGP

so site b is connted via BGP with c as well the route will be in site B table.....so that specific route would be advertise to site C by B by default as they are connected as well via BGP

Site B will have the route as "connected" on its routing table but it isn't advertising this route into BGP per your description.

Just because this route is "connected" and it's a preferred route for Site B, does not mean it will be advertised in BGP.

For Site C to reach 192.168.1.0/24, it will go to Site A, then Site B.

Now, the return traffic may go from Site B directly to Site C (asymmetrical routing). It all depends what networks are advertised from Site C into BGP.

HTH,

__

Edison.

Thanks for that well how come site C will go to site A directly as they are not conected.....secondly first you said that the route will be advertise by default then u have a statement

"Just because this route is "connected" and it's a preferred route for Site B, does not mean it will be advertised in BGP"

Sorry i didnt get that. Now i have tried this scenario in lab at my home but it didnt advertise which is bit starnage......kindle see my tapologu and configs.

Router A

int serial 0/0 ip address 195.1.1.1 255.255.255.0

router Bgp 123

network 192.168.1.0 mask 255.255.255.0

neibour 195.1.1.2 remote-as 345

Router B

int serial serial 0/0 ip address 195.1.1.2 255.255.255.0

router bgp 345

neigbour 195.1.1.1 remote-as 123

now by doing that the router B got 192.168.1.0 route in his table now router B configs for zrouter c are:

router B

router bgp 345

neibour 196.1.1.2 remote as 555

Router C

router bgp 555

neibour 196.1.1.1 remote-as 345

so after that all bgo sessions were up but i couldntt see the route (192.168.1.0) route in C routing table or bgp table???? why is that as u said that by default b will be sending it to c....thanks

Thanks for that well how come site C will go to site A directly as they are not connected.

Based on your original post:

a) They are neighbors

b) Site A is advertising 192.186.1.0/24, not Site B.

secondly first you said that the route will be advertise by default then u have a statement

"Just because this route is "connected" and it's a preferred route for Site B, does not mean it will be advertised in BGP"

Sorry i didnt get that.

You said default, I didn't. The Bold portion of my post are quotes from your post.

I reiterate, in order for a route to be on BGP, you need to advertise such route under the BGP process. A connected route won't be advertised in BGP by default. You need to use the network command or redistribute static. Per your post, only Site A is advertising the route so Site C will go to Site A as that location is the only one advertising the route via BGP.

so after that all bgo sessions were up but i couldntt see the route (192.168.1.0) route in C routing table or bgp table????

Verify 192.168.1.0 is in the routing table on Router A. It needs to learn that route from Router B in order to install it in BGP. This process is often done either with a static route in Router A or an IGP (Interior Gateway Protocol) running between Router B and Router A. On your original post, I assume that task was completed.

HTH,

__

Edison

Please rate helpful posts

You can also determine which routes are bein g adversied by BGP by using the show ip bgp neigh x.x.x.x received routes. This tells you what routes are being learned on B via BGP. HTH

Thanks for the posts guys.....now i will re phrase my question......site A is connected to site B and site C is connected with B. site C is not connected with site A. Now my question is if router A advertise a network to router B. Now router B has that route in its bgp table........router B is not advertising that route to c under network command. so will router C get that route automatically as router b and c are connected via BGP??? guys i wanna know the behavior of BGP??? i hope this is much better way to ask.

Now my question is if router A advertise a network to router B. Now router B has that route in its bgp table........router B is not advertising that route to c under network command. so will router C get that route automatically as router b and c are connected via BGP?

Yes, router C will receive that route by default.

__

Edison.

Views
Helpful
Replies