cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Backup route

Michael Proctor
Level 1
Level 1

Here is the situation I have.  I have 2 routers connected to Sprint MPLS, one at my office site via T1 and one at my co-lo site viz 10MB ethernet.  I also have a 100 MB ethernet connection from the office to the co-lo site.  I have 7 other locactions on the Sprint MPLS also.  I want the path through the co-lo to be vavored for all sites for every route and only use the T1 line should the 100MB metro ethernet line drop.

Sprint runs BGP in the MPLS network and right now my two routers are also peered through the MetroE connection.  The problem is that the Sprin cloud always favors the direct route to both the main office and the co-lo.  So I end up with traffic bound for the main office from the remotes not taking the faster path through the co-lo but coming through the T1.   It basically looks like this, assuming I run OSPF on the 100MB connection how do I get the Sprint routers to send all traffic bound for the main office through the co-lo location?

Capture.JPG

2 Replies 2

rais
Level 7
Level 7

You can advertise more specific routes from co-lo.

HTH.

Jeff Van Houten
Level 5
Level 5

If you are running both bgp and Ospf, then all other things the same, the bgp route will be preferred because it has the lower administrative distance. So if you want to prefer routes learned by Ospf, you need to adjust the ad distance of the bgp routes.

Sent from Cisco Technical Support iPad App

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card