cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP between multiple data centers

loobitize
Level 1
Level 1

I am building two data centers, each with internet connectivity from two service providors. One data center will be primary, with the other used for DR. I plan to inject a default route into my core by tunneling BGP through my firewalls directly to the core. Now, I can easily direct all internet traffic to the primary DC by setting local preference higher on the default routes recieved from the primary providors. However, if I wanted the ability to route traffic out both data centers at the same time, things get more complicated because BGP will only select the one best route to enter into the routing table. What is the best way route Internet traffic to both data centers at the same time?

1 Reply 1

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

O ne option would be to use any IGP like OSPF or EIGRP with the help of GRE tunnel from the edge routers to the core and let the BGP terminate only on the border routers.

With EIGRP and OSPF you can decide whether you want to load balance or keep one as backup.

HTH, rate if it does

Narayan

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card