Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

BGP concerns

I currently have two ASR 1k routers.  Both have bgp peers to all three of my ISPs.  I am getting strange throughput performance issues with all three ISP are connected together.  The goal is to have outbound traffic load share as much as possible.  And I understand that I can do much for controller inbound traffic.  Since we have two routers I have hsrp running for outbound traffic from my lan to the edge.  I have tried many variations of tests.  they have included running with a singe provider at a time and perform tests such as speedtest from a variety of sites, special queries etc to determine if the connectivity and througput is there..

Out of the three providers I have noticed that 1 out of the three is not performing within reason.  Download speeds are ok but uploads are like 4.5Mbps on a 50Meg Metro Ethernet circuit.  The provider has performed layer 1 and 2 test but performances are still the same.  I have performed test which have excluded my equiptment all together and go the same poor results.  Provider states they are running test with a virtual look in the devices and getting performances are acceptable.  Is there any reason why all three providers together would cause such symptoms?

Any assistance would be appreciated.  I currently have wireshark running on their switch with a cont. ping. I placed one of the wan ip addresses on my laptop to see if I will notice any disruptions.

4 REPLIES
Hall of Fame Super Bronze

BGP concerns

You mentioned 1 out of 3 providers is not performing within reasons.

How did you single out this provider?

Did you remove this provider from the equation and performed an upload?

If so, what was the speed?

Did you isolate an upload just to this provider?

If so, what was the speed?

If the tests came back with problem just with this provider,

then definitely is at their end and your configuration does not need to change.

You can also have problems at your local endpoint.

Regards,

Silver

BGP concerns

If you have poor resuls with all three providers then that sounds like some kind of physical error. Do they share any infrastructure? Have you checked cabling? Maybe a bad patch panel? Any errors on interfaces?

Try to get hold of a tool such as fluke to measure throughput or use a PC directly connected if possible to bypass your equipment and test if that affects performance.

Daniel Dib
CCIE #37149

Please rate helpful posts.

Daniel Dib CCIE #37149 Please rate helpful posts.

BGP concerns

You mentioned 1 out of 3 providers is not performing within reasons.

How did you single out this provider? Each provider has been singled out.  I have plugged a single provider in by itself and test throughput

Did you remove this provider from the equation and performed an upload? I am currently running without the provider with download speeds looking good

If so, what was the speed?  Speeds are great

Did you isolate an upload just to this provider?  If so, what was the speed?  Yes.  downloads 45Mbps Uploads 3-5Mbps

If the tests came back with problem just with this provider,

then definitely is at their end and your configuration does not need to change.

You can also have problems at your local endpoint. When you metion problems on the local end point....I have tested throughput from both the edge of the network as well as on devices in the lan segment.

Hall of Fame Super Bronze

BGP concerns

Continue working with the troubled provider. It's a problem at their end.

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content