cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP down when we do NAT

archanacv
Level 1
Level 1

nternet facing router is having a bgp peering with the ISP. When we do a static nat for one of the LAN IP and overload it with outside interface the BGP session is becoming active.

I have shared the configuration and sh ver along with this

9 Replies 9

Hello

Can you show your config?

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

Could be following IOS bug -

https://tools.cisco.com/bugsearch/bug/CSCtf60978

Please post the show version as well.

-Vishesh

Hi,

I dont think it is related to this bug. I am running an IOS where the bug is fixed. 

Hi,

I would like to test this case. Can you share the following outputs, my e-mail id is vishever@cisco.com -

show tech

show ip bgp summary

show ip bgp neighbors

debug ip bgp

debug ip nat detailed

And the NAT Configuration that you apply on the router?

-Vishesh

R1
!
interface GigabitEthernet0/0/1(connected to ISP)
ip nat outside
!
int GigabitEthernet0/0/0 (connected to LAN switch)
ip nat inside
!
ip nat inside source static 140.24.155.2 interface gigabitEthernet 0/0/1
!
router bgp 133
 bgp log-neighbor-changes
 network 140.24.152.0 mask 255.255.248.0
 neighbor 123.244.199.201 remote-as 4755

R1 uptime is 11 weeks, 5 days, 20 hours, 1 minute
Uptime for this control processor is 11 weeks, 5 days, 20 hours, 2 minutes
System returned to ROM by reload
System image file is "bootflash:asr1001-universalk9.03.04.06.S.151-3.S6.bin"
Last reload reason: PowerOn

Hello

Can you explain your lan ip addressing, why are you natting on this address range and then advertising it - Is this an ip range you just selected  or was it supplied to you?

Is this bgp peering towards your ISP?

res

Paul

Please rate and mark as an accepted solution if you have found any of the information provided useful.
This then could assist others on these forums to find a valuable answer and broadens the community’s global network.

Kind Regards
Paul

I want to NAT for only one or 2 users, hence using this IP range. 

Yes this BGP peering is towards the ISP. 

ashirkar
Level 7
Level 7

Hi ,

I have two question after seeing your configuration

1) If 140.24.152.0/28 is your inside network and your trying to hide to external world by nating to gig interface IP address, then why are you advertising it and to whom your advertising.

2) static nat is one to one nat. if you are nating server/host statically with interface,dont overload with interface it doesn't work.

When you do static nat with interface IP ,whenever there is any request come for router interface IP will redirected to nated IP so that's why services like telnet ,ping will be send to NATed IP address .In your case ,when there is request coming to your physical IP address ,router is looking for nat statement and sending to 140.24.155.2 thats why your BGP neighborship is not working.

Regards,

Ashish

There are few sites which allows access to only the IP of the ISP.

The range we are using is not registered in APNIC, but somewhere else in US, hence the access is denied.

We are trying to NAT to provide access to those sites.

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card