cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP-EIGRP redistribution

giamwi
Level 1
Level 1

In a lab setup, I have two routers (routers B and C) in the middle running iBGP and on either side a router (A and D) running EIGRP. Now in order to have full connectivity, I did a mutual redistribution of BGP into EIGRP and vice versa on routers B and C. The routes from router A get redistributed into router B, there propagated via iBGP to router C, but the redistribution from BGP into EIGRP on router C does not work (and the other way around). Not even the local network between routers B and C, which I advertise through the 'network' command in BGP, gets redistributed into EIGRP. I have just configured basic BGP and EIGRP and redistribution without route-maps, etc. Synchronisation in BGP is off. What might be the problem?

Thanks, Meg

3 Accepted Solutions

Accepted Solutions

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Did you remember to set a default EIGRP metric for the redistributed routes?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

View solution in original post

Actually the issue here is the attempt to redistribute from iBGP into an IGP (EIGRP). By default Cisco disables redistribution from iBGP into an IGP. If you want to do this use the command bgp redistribute-internal.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

Are you trying to redistribute iBGP into EIGRP? You have to set a hidden knob to make this work--we normally only redistribute eBGP routes into any IGP.

http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-advisor/iprout/showcase?case=K10794084

bgp redistribute-internal is the command you probably need, if this is the case. Also make certain, as another poster stated, to set the EIGRP default metric.

HTH

Russ.W

6 Replies 6

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Did you remember to set a default EIGRP metric for the redistributed routes?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

vladrac-ccna
Level 5
Level 5

Hello Meg,

could you give us more information on this issue?

maybe post part of your configuration or output of the routing tables on these routers.

There are many factors that could cause issues on advertising and redistribution of routes in BGP and EIGRP.

Please let me know,

Vlad

Actually the issue here is the attempt to redistribute from iBGP into an IGP (EIGRP). By default Cisco disables redistribution from iBGP into an IGP. If you want to do this use the command bgp redistribute-internal.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick

ruwhite
Level 7
Level 7

Are you trying to redistribute iBGP into EIGRP? You have to set a hidden knob to make this work--we normally only redistribute eBGP routes into any IGP.

http://www.ciscotaccc.com/kaidara-advisor/iprout/showcase?case=K10794084

bgp redistribute-internal is the command you probably need, if this is the case. Also make certain, as another poster stated, to set the EIGRP default metric.

HTH

Russ.W

Thanks everyone for the inputs. After configuring default metrics in EIGRP and usind the bgp redistribute-internal command, it worked!

Strangely, in all my CCIE studies I never came across this one.....

Mechthild

I am glad that we were able to point you toward the solution. If you would mark this thread as solved it would help others in the forum to know that they can read not only about a problem but also to see the solution. This makes the forum more useful for everyone.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card