cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP - External routers use static or dyamic IPs?

trippi
Level 1
Level 1

I have two external routers, one with each provider. I have a class C from each ISP, my own AS number. Should I assign the routers a static IP address from the static range they gave me or should I assign them an IP in the range I have advertised out via BGP?? I have an ASA behind the routers doing NAT. Should this have an IP address of one of the BGP networks??

3 Replies 3

ashok_boin
Level 5
Level 5

I am not sure whether the 2 Class C networks mentioned by you are your own or assigned from ISP as you said you have your own AS number.

If you are talking about external interface of your router connnecting to your ISP, then it should be assigned with ISP provided WAN subnet. You will configure your local LAN with provider assigned Class C Subnet which you will advertise out.

Your ASA external interface should have public IP (provider assigned class C) & you will have private IP subnet internally.

-Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok

The two class Cs are assigned by the ISP, one each. I am talking about internal interface of the router and external interface of the ASA...

By static and dynamic I meant should I use statically routed IPs or dyanmically routed IP addresses for the network equipment (the ones in the class c I have advertised)??

Sorry for the confusion!

Suggest to use static IP addresses from assigned Class C.

-Ashok.

With best regards...
Ashok
Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: