cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

bgp guru

whanson
Level 2
Level 2

I am trying to impact the incoming traffic on a particular subnet. I have two connections to the same ISP same AS at different locations and another connction to a separate ISP. I use filter list to control the advertised routes and all is well but there is one subnet that comes in location A isp A and I want it to come in location B isp A so I added a route map at location A for the specific subnet and set the metric so I should theoretically come in location B but instead I lost all connectivity for all subnets. If I use a route-map out does that override a filter list? As ever thx

18 Replies 18

whanson
Level 2
Level 2

Thanks all for all the help I got it. Sorry I appeared so dense to some.

Bill,

It's ok. You are always welcome.

Best regards,

Peter

Peter,

last question for now. I see from the order of route selection that metric and local pref really are only for the same AS so if I have two networks I am advertising and I want return traffic to favor isp a over isp b it sounds like expanding the as-path is the only way.

Hello Bill,

Yes, you are right. In certain cases, if you have multiple connections to a single provider, you could influence his routing using the MED attribute, however, in general case if you have more distinct ISPs, the AS-PATH prepending is usually the only choice simple enough.

Best regards,

Peter

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card