cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP into OSPF

ten
Level 1
Level 1

I have a router that is running both BGP and OSPF.

BGP is learning the default route from its BGP neighbor.

I was going to redistribute the default route into OSPF with a route map and the “redistribute” command but I noticed that once I configured OSPF with the “default-information originate” command OSPF learned the correct default route and propagated it.

Does this mean I don't need to add the “redistribute BGP” command to my OPSF configuration?

Is this a good practice?

3 Replies 3

Giuseppe Larosa
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hello Thom,

ospf default-information originate checks if there is a default route installed in the routing table if there is an OSPF LSA type 5 for 0.0.0.0/0 is generated and propagated in the ospf domain.

unless you use the always keyword should the BGP session fall down the OSPF LSA will be removed.

This can be a good solution if this is your single exit point to internet.

in more complex scenarios you can invoke a route-map as option of default-information originate so that you can check from what BGP neighbor the 0.0.0.0/0 is received for example

you don't need to redistribute bgp into ospf for this.

Hope to help

Giuseppe

royalblues
Level 10
Level 10

When you configure the default-information originate command under ospf, it will generate & advertise a default route as long as it sees a valid entry in its routing table .

In your case the default is being learnt from BGP so when u configure the command under opsf it starts advertisign the default. If your requirement is to just propogate the default, you need not do redistribution

Narayan

rakesh.hegde
Level 1
Level 1

You can not redistribute a default route into OSPF. You have to originate it using " default-information originate " command.

HTH,

Rakesh

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community: