cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP load balancing (incoming trafic)

jsousa
Level 1
Level 1

My network are connected to 2 ISP´s using BGP (i have my own AS).

How can i do efficient load balancing in incoming trafic ?

I pretend to have the same load in both connections.

In this moment i have one connection with much more load than the other (70% 30%).

My router is a 7206.

Thanks in advance

1 Reply 1

Richard Burts
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Jose

When you run BGP you have direct control over what you send out and only indirect control over what is sent to you. Your providers and ASes out in the Internet will choose one path or the other based on what is in their routing table. And you do not have much control over that.

There may be some things you can do depending on your environment and on the providers that you work with. If you have more than one prefix that you advertise you may do AS pre-pending on some prefixes to one of the providers to make it likely that these prefixes will be more attractive through the other provider. Depending on the relationship between the two providers there may be some things that you can negotiate such as advertising certain prefixes with specified communitities and for those prefixes the provider may alter the way that it advertises the prefix (or the way that it routes the prefix) to shift traffic to the other provider.

HTH

Rick

HTH

Rick
Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card