Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP Load Balancing

danpwalker
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

We're an ISP and currently have one provider giving us a full table as transit and also peer with a few local exchange points. We're looking at getting another transit provider in who are also going to give us a full table (they have better Asian routes). To start with we only want to push 10Mb over this new feed. Its also worth highlighting that we only have a single node as a peering router.

Has anyone any experience on how best to achieve this? I was thinking of trying to push just a single prefix over this link with the others preferring the other provider via Local Pref and also using Prepending via the new provider for the other prefixes. However, there are also load balancers on the market that provider this functionality. Theres obviously a cost element to this which I want to avoid.

Many thanks.

1 Accepted Solution

Accepted Solutions

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

the classic BGP manipulations should work for you. Having a single router just makes everything easier.

About the load balancers, I think these are more enterprise-class devices that work based on NAT, and do not apply to ISP infrastructure. Unless something new came out that I don't know about.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

View solution in original post

3 Replies 3

paolo bevilacqua
Hall of Fame
Hall of Fame

Hi,

the classic BGP manipulations should work for you. Having a single router just makes everything easier.

About the load balancers, I think these are more enterprise-class devices that work based on NAT, and do not apply to ISP infrastructure. Unless something new came out that I don't know about.

Hope this helps, please rate post if it does!

leungcm
Level 1
Level 1

Hi,

the BGP can find the best route for you. The load balancing is sot working properly but loading sharing is working (e.g. the load sharing may be around 45%, 55% out traffic; 65%, 35% in traffic). It is impossible 50%, 50% in/out traffic. hope it can help you.

Best regards

Thanks for the input .. much appreciated :)

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card