Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. If you'd prefer to explore, try our test area to get started. And see here for current known issues.

BGP Load Sharing & Balancing - 2 AS's (ISP's) 3 links

Currently I have 2 DS3's to two different providers (ATT & Broadwing). I am turning up a third circuit which is an OC-3 to ATT (AS 7018). Right now I am using AS-Prepending on my /24's to successfully balance inbound traffic on the two DS3's. However, it doesn?t appear that I can prepend on a per neighbor (per circuit) basis, I can only prepend on an AS. How can I enforce inbound traffic ratios on the ATT DS3 and OC-3? Any configuration recommendations?

FYI: I cannot do a flash-cut so taking down the ATT DS3 is not an option at this time. I may however, make the DS3 a backup.

-JGR

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
Gold

Re: BGP Load Sharing & Balancing - 2 AS's (ISP's) 3 links

You are exactly correct. I though I had responded on this post.. maybe I got distracted and didn't hit post.

You can also prepend the AS as many times as you want and prepend a different number of times on different links. You only need 1 when the neighbors are the same AS when they are different you are safer doing more. I think I normally do 3 to make sure there is not a extra AS or 2 between the 2 isps. I assume some ISP have a limit so I wouldn't go too crazy with prepend.

3 REPLIES

check this URL if it gives you any clue.

http://www.cisco.com/warp/public/459/40.html#conf5

rate if it helps ....

I'm gathering that the answer may be that I can prepend the AS from ATT. This can be done because I can regulate the prepending on a per neighbor basis.

router bgp 12345

neighbor A.T.T.1 remote-as 7018

neighbor A.T.T.1 route-map localonly out

neighbor A.T.T.2 remote-as 7018

neighbor A.T.T.2 route-map oc-3-local-prepend out

neighbor B.W.G.1 remote-as 6395

neighbor B.W.G.1 route-map broadwing-out out

!

route-map oc-3-local-prepend permit 10

set as-path prepend 12345

!

Gold

You are exactly correct. I though I had responded on this post.. maybe I got distracted and didn't hit post.

You can also prepend the AS as many times as you want and prepend a different number of times on different links. You only need 1 when the neighbors are the same AS when they are different you are safer doing more. I think I normally do 3 to make sure there is not a extra AS or 2 between the 2 isps. I assume some ISP have a limit so I wouldn't go too crazy with prepend.

Views
Helpful
Replies