Cisco Support Community
cancel
Showing results for 
Search instead for 
Did you mean: 
Announcements

Welcome to Cisco Support Community. We would love to have your feedback.

For an introduction to the new site, click here. And see here for current known issues.

BGP local preference of 0

Hi All,

... i was just wondering.....

What happens if you were to set the local preference to 0 for routes learned from a BGP peer?

???

1 ACCEPTED SOLUTION

Accepted Solutions
VIP Purple

Re: BGP local preference of 0

Hello,

0 is just treated as any other configurable value, I guess it is there to make absolutely sure that the lowest value is configured, similiar to the ´spanning-tree vlan X priority 0´ command...

You are pobably thinking that 0 might somehow remove the specified route from any decision-making process, similar to the DR election in OSPF, where ´0´ would mean never to become a DR, but in BGP, the ´0´, as I said, is simply the lowest value...

HTH,

GP

1 REPLY
VIP Purple

Re: BGP local preference of 0

Hello,

0 is just treated as any other configurable value, I guess it is there to make absolutely sure that the lowest value is configured, similiar to the ´spanning-tree vlan X priority 0´ command...

You are pobably thinking that 0 might somehow remove the specified route from any decision-making process, similar to the DR election in OSPF, where ´0´ would mean never to become a DR, but in BGP, the ´0´, as I said, is simply the lowest value...

HTH,

GP

Views
Helpful
Replies
CreatePlease login to create content