cancel
Views
Helpful
Replies

BGP loop prevention with AS_PATH

Kevin Dorrell
Level 10
Level 10

Just a curious thought about AS_PATH.  The way loop prevention works in BGP is that if I see my own AS in the AS_PATH attribute, then I discard the route.

My curiosity is this ... why did my neighbor send me the route in the first place?  He knows my AS number.  He could see the route had my AS in the AS_PATH attribute.  So why did he bother to send it to me, if he knew I would just discard it?

Kevin Dorrell

Luxembourg

19 Replies 19

Hi Peter,

Thanks for commenting on some points that I didn't previously. I am aware that my use of the rating system was more loose than generally accepted, but I sometimes do this to boost morale even for members with thousands of points such as you, Jon and Giuseppe (when you get some 1's or 2's for example). I hope this is not a problem. Paul seems really interested in the details of BGP. BGP is one of my favorite protocols. So, we have BGP in common Paul and hope to see you again in the BGP threads!

Kind Regards,

Maria

It seems Paul decided to come back a few minutes before I posted! Unfortunately, I am unable to follow this thread anymore. It needs a lot of thinking and I am running out of time with some things I have to do. I will hopefully be able to read the thread sometime in the near future.

raj gupta
Level 1
Level 1

i read that BGP uses a loop prevention method using ASN no in ASpath length attribute , what like if we had two routers separated physically in our enterprise like rtr1 and rtr2   and we want that routes be exchanged at both sites using BGP and we also have ISP which provides the connectivity but if a route is advertised as follows through rtr1-- ISP -- rtr2 then it will have the same AS , and rtr2 should discard the routes ideally as it will already have ASN (as it was originally advertised by rtr1 of same enterprise) can someone help please ?

Hi @raj gupta ,

You can definitely accommodate the scenario you are describing by using the allows-in feature.

https://www.cisco.com/c/en/us/support/docs/ip/border-gateway-protocol-bgp/112236-allowas-in-bgp-config-example.html

Regards,

Harold Ritter
Sr Technical Leader
CCIE 4168 (R&S, SP)
harold@cisco.com
México móvil: +52 1 55 8312 4915
Cisco México
Paseo de la Reforma 222
Piso 19
Cuauhtémoc, Juárez
Ciudad de México, 06600
México

Thanks @Harold Ritter , hoping this solves query

Getting Started

Find answers to your questions by entering keywords or phrases in the Search bar above. New here? Use these resources to familiarize yourself with the community:

Review Cisco Networking products for a $25 gift card